<p>can someone advice me as to what the proper way to sign photographs is?<br>

as i said in my previous posts, i print on A3+ paper, keeping about a 1inch white<br>

border around the image. i have been signing/dating the lower right-hand corner<br>

of the image in the white border and then when having it framed, the mount is placed<br>

so that the signature is showing.<br>

is this considered acceptable for fine art prints?</p>

<p>If the paper is matte and will take a pencil I will do as you do. The problem comes when your paper is not matte and you need to do something else, namely ink.</p>

<p>The first task is to be sure that the ink is permanent, will not damage the paper or leach into the image, and isn't reflective, and doesn't discolour . My best solution here is a Staedtler fine pigment liner. This would enable you to do what you do now on the gloss papers I use and have tested this approach with. No doubt about it though, any pen is going to produce a more strident mark than a subtly drawn 2H pencil.<br>

That said, my preference which I use nowadays by default is to sign, title, number where appropriate and date the mount, but also sign , number, date and title the print on the reverse and in the margin, in an area that is covered by the window mount. This is much easier with inkjet papers which generally I find will take pencil on the reverse very easily. </p>

megan, no matter what method you use, you will find that it will not work for all situations. Dave's right

about the issues and considerations, he also is right about the figment liner. I also use paint pens and

pencil when necessary. I also make mistakes now and then.

So, you'll find that unless you do the same thing over and over - like say white mat, single print with

boarder as you describe, you'll need to be more flexible about your signage and as with art, come up

with some artful solutions.

You have to ask yourself acceptable to who? Why, and what's the purpose of the print. . . really, who's

in charge after all? As a gallery owner, writer, and most importantly a working full time professional

nature, wildlife, and lifestyle photographer who happens to create fine art prints, I've heard and read a lot

about this paper, that paper this ink that ink and the truth is most of it changes so rapidly that what

once was the standard changes. what has not changed is the need to make your signature meaningful,

non destructive, and lasting . . . .

My recommendation is use your imagination, make your art your own, use non destructive techniques,

and permanent pens and so on, but do your own thing. . . today the people that separate themselves

from the pack are the one's that succeed.

I would add one more thing however. If youre competing or if youre in a gallery or trying to get into a

show, sometimes you need to be aware of their standards and rules and follow them to a "t." If youre

producing for yourself i would suggest you take the same art licence you have for shooting and apply it

to your framing, mounting and hanging. Over time you'll find out what works best for you . . . you also

will make mistakes along the way, but i'm sure that you, like me and anyone else making their way in

the business, will make a few mistakes now and then.

BTW, when you find out who's in charge and who sets the standard and make the rules, let me know . .

<p>Who came up with that lame idea of signing the matte? Is that the convention in any other form of visual art? Nope, cause the signature will not stay with the piece. If you sign on the matte, be very sure you use the best matte board, so it will last.<br>

I sign on the print, just under the image. I have seen others that sign on the reverse, and some that sign on the bottom of the image.<br>

Lots of options!<br>

Bill Pearce</p>