Homemade Shutter Trigger for Nikon D80

r_cy

Dear Lensmen,<br /> <br /> I'm thinking about making a cable shutter trigger for my D80. I'm planning on using a simple push-to-make switch so what I want to know is, can the D80 be triggered by a push-to-make switch only, i.e. by shorting the respected outputs? If so, has anyone done this before? Could anyone tell me which outputs to short? I'm not really bothered about controling autofocus etc since the camera will be under manual control.<br /> <br /> Thanks in advance.

<p>D80 shutter triggers are now so cheap on the net that you'd probably end up spending more (materials + time) if you make your own. But hey, if you have the time and you're a DIY guy, why not? In my case, I just bought a cheap one off the 'bay and got no problems with it.</p>

<p>Cheers Jun. I've looked into buying a cheapo remote off eBay before, but the thing is, I already have the switch I want to use, plus I've got cable coming out of my ears, so in the end it would be cheaper to DIY. Just need the info on the outputs really. Unfortunately I don't have the camera around currently to test them.</p>

<p>I've made a few for Canon cameras. After some trial and error, I found that using an old PC mouse makes a really good trigger. It fits in the hand nicely, already has two buttons (focus and trigger), already has the wire, strain releif, ect.... Just cut the traces around the mouse switches so that the original mouse circuitry is isolated from the switches.<br>

All you need to buy is the plug (RadioShack).</p>

<p>Thanks for the link Jim, I'm sure I'll find some use of it. Bought a cheap cable remote of eBay, I'll use the socket off it and figure out the pinouts from the unit. I want to use a custom switch because I'm attempting to build a circular frame that will be able to capture an image every x degrees. I will focus the camera on the centre of the frame so as the frame is turned through one revolution it takes a shot of the focused object x number of times (or /x degrees). All of this in aid of capturing the object in psuedo-3D, to be turned into an animated GIF, or perhaps the images will be used as the input for a digital 3D scanner, which is a route I have not yet fully investigated.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the tips so far.</p>