Second Shooter Pay

chimera_h

<p>I wanted to find out how some of you pay your second shooters. I've checked around and pay mine the standard hourly rate for our area. Do you all pay an hourly fee or a flat fee? Do you have them ride with you to the event or do you pay mileage?</p>

<p>For an event that is more than 2 hrs away do you pay more for time away? Meaning, if you have a hotel stay and it's a 2 day obligation because of travel, do you pay extra for time? <br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I get on average $200 to 2nd shoot. (Yee haw... party at RT's house. I'll fly you all in).</p>

<p>50 cents per mile, one way if over 30 miles. But I shoot for different folks so it varies.</p>

<p>All in all, it works out so I'm not complaining.</p>

<p>Hello.<br>

I generally pay $400 - $500. When I am a second photographer myself, I charge $550 - $750 depending on the gig.</p>

<p>I’ll also rent out my Lumedynes and PocketWizards to a photographer who needs them (for room lights, for example) for $75.</p>

<p>Consider a second photographer’s expenses such as parking, tolls, mileage, DVD creation, postage, meals, hotel, taxi & subway fares. So yes for two day event I would pay travel expenses plus extra for time since there’s not another gig that person could book at that time.</p>

<p>I also grant self-promotional rights to images created (website, blog, demo albums, etc.). These are rights I expect when I am second shooter myself.</p>

<p>Basically I treat my second photographers the way I’d want to be treated as a second photographer.</p>

<p>As I have a specific pricelist for all parts of a wedding shoot (engagement, preparation, ceremony and so on and so forth), the second shooter gets paid according to his/her participation in each part. As these prices vary depending on distance to the event and other factors, there is no additional compensation.</p>

<p>Therefore, for an average, in-town wedding where the assistant is expected to participate in all stages, s/he would get approximately $300. For an out of town wedding, that goes up depending on the distance. The assumption is that we both travel with one vehicle. Accommodation and parking fees always weigh the customer and are listed as separate items on the invoice.</p>

<p>Currently about $50. per hour. This is pretty fair pay in this area given the economy and downturn in both the average number and pay levels for wedding photography. If it keeps deteriorating, it will be hard to sustain that level for a second shooter. Almost no client is willing to pay extra for a second shooter these days ... but I do it anyway depending on the amount of hours. If a client opts for an additional hour at the wedding, I split that with my second. I don't use a second shooter for 4 hour weddings. </p>

<p>My second shooter drives with me unless it is a single location and is close to her home. If we go to multiple locations to shoot, having a second driver really helps. </p>

<p> </p>