Is something funny here?

bob_himmelright

<p>This may or may not have been made for NASA, but here's is what I do know. I have shot about eight shuttle launches as credentialed media.<strong> ANY</strong> item that has been accepted by NASA bears their asset property stamp or some other indication that the item was owned by NASA. Here is an example of a Nikon F5 (stamped: Not for Flight)<br>

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-F5-NASA-Camera-Body-Very-Rare-Space-Shuttle-/300449813698?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item45f43454c2</p>

<p>In order for a camera to go into flight it has to be certified by the flight engineers in order to ensure that all electronics are functioning properly and won't cause a potentially dangerous mishap in space. I don't see anything in the item being auctioned to prove that this camera was accepted by NASA. It may be one of the same models that NASA used but, unless it actually was accepted and certified by NASA, I would want to have some expert provide some documentation as to it's authenticity and value.</p>

<p>I thought they always removed the coverings on the real space cameras. I used to work at Pan Pacific Camera in Hollywood and we had a couple cameras that were in the space program (can't verify that they actually went into space) and the Hasselblad rep said that they had to remove all unnecessary items. I would think that yellow leatherette is unnecessary.</p>

<p>This looks like an MKW/E Motorized camera with a Rousseau plate for photogrammetry, similar to the MK70 line of specialized cameras related to the NASA cameras. AFIK, NASA cameras had no covering, and a large paddle for focusing the lens (if the focus weren't locked in place). (q.v., "The Hasselblad System Compendium" by Richard Nordin, 1998, p. 120 ff.).</p>

<p>It is an expensive collectors item, but probably overpriced in this offering, and definitely not an official NASA version.</p>

<p>It's what Edward says it is, and what is written on the thing itself: a MKWE photogrammetry camera.</p>

<p>Not made for NASA. And though NASA may have bought some (only cameras that would 'fly' had to be modified), something anybody could order and get.<br>

It, and the A24 databack behind it, are not something you will find elsewhere in a hurry. These things were never cheap. But the asking price is a bit steep.<br>

Typical Asenal -Photo: excellent goods. But too expensive.</p>

<p>The paradox here is that someone could own that $32000.00 camera and also have a Kiev, he or she could go out , take some pictures and then show them and the diference would be very small and in some cases negligible. ( depending on shutter speed and or f-stop) Certainly not a 31550 dollar difference. I know that some people collect cameras, but most photographers just want a machine that will allow for good quality picture-making. Just a thought.</p>