E-10 Error on a Pentax 67 II

rickbehl

<p>Hi all,<br /><br />Well, I was so looking forward to running film through the Pentax 67ii body that I purchased recently. Unfortunately I've hit a problem on my very first roll. About 4 shots into a roll ok 220 film the LCD dial has stuck at showing 'E-10' and the shutter will not fire. I have checked the manual and it says that any errors with a first numeric of '1' mean that the camera has to be taken to a Pentax Service Center. Very dissapointing but I guess that is one of the chances you take with buying equipment on eBay. I will write to the guy who sold me the body too but I just wonder if anyone here had any advice on this specific error?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Rick</p>

<p>Reminds me of the Hasselblad 500cm I bought on ebay, which halfway through the roll began to not want to release the shutter. eBay is a giant dumping ground for broken cameras, unfortunately. If you paid by paypal you should be able to return the camera and get your money back.</p>

<p>That's sad to hear.<br>

Did you set the camera to 220 mode? I was just thinking it might have jammed or something...<br>

Try taking the film out (use a changing bag if you want to keep it) and play with it some more to see if it frees up.<br>

Otherwise I think that it is probably a dud. The P67II doesn't have problems with the winder like the P67s but it has been known to jam for apparently unknown reasons. Check with the seller and see what he can do to fix it.</p>

<p>Thanks Chuk, it is sad as I was so looking forward to using this camera.<br>

Funny you should suggest what you just did as that is exactly what I have just done! I was able to open the back (with the camera in a changing bag) and manage to fiddle and wind the film on a couple shots. I then closed the back, removed the camera from the changing bag and the error 'E-10' had dissappeared. So it seems the error is something to do with the film winding mechanism possibly? I do remember reading somewhere of other photographers who had issues with the film winding. <br /> <br /> Anyway, the eBay seller has agreed to take the camera back if the problem persists. So I will try and run at least 4-5 rolls (mixture of 120/220) through it this week to see whether the problem re-occurs. If it does come back I will try and return to seller. Does this seem like the best option? I'm just concerned that the camera seizes up when I'm out on a location (on a hike or up a mountain) somewhere...<br /> <br /> Rgds<br /> Rick</p>

<p>Yes, but it depends on how much you paid for the camera. If you paid a lot then its best to send it back. If you got it for cheap, then maybe its worth the risk.<br>

220 seems to be the common factor with the winding problems on P67IIs. Try some more 220 and see if it comes back. 120 should probably be fine. In any case though, it would be best to take it in for a CLA before going out on an expensive trip somewhere.</p>

<p>I think I got a reasonable deal on the camera looking at similar recent transactions. As an update I put through 2 rolls of 120 today and there were no issues. I'm half way through a roll of 220 and again no hitch so far. I'm being extra careful with the winding of the film today just in case there was any chance this is what caused the issue last time. I'm also thinking of taking the body in for a quick service here to make sure there are no big issues that need fixing...<br>

<br />Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>Rick</p>

<p>As a tip, if you don't need to use 220, just stay with 120. 220 puts more stress on the winding mechanism and although the P67II can supposedly take it, it is probably just asking for trouble some time in the future. A service doesn't necessarily make everything ok, as noted in other threads but it might find the cause of the problem. Do take it to a good service center though. Some I know just fix what they need to and if the problem isn't readily apparent, as in this case, they will ignore it.<br>

I have had mine from new and I have used it quite a bit. It has never even slightly failed. I have never put 220 film through it though.</p>

<p>Good luck :)</p>

<p>Rick- I loved my 67ii, but had so many problems with the electronics over the years that I finally dumped it and bought an old 67. I was sending mine in for (expensive) repairs about twice a year... usually with problems similar to what you're describing. I wish you better luck than what I had.</p>

<p>Well, I took the 67ii to the service center today as yesterday I experienced another problem which needed fixing. It seems that somehow the screw thread on the cable release attachment in the shutter button had worn away or something. Strange as I was able to attach the cable release fine a day before but then yesterday I could not get it attached at all. Unfortunately I was in the middle of a location shoot out on the harbour here at sunset so that was a bit frustrating.</p>

<p>So the service center here (in Hong Kong) is not actually run by Pentax but is outsourced to a company called 'Jebsen'. They charged me approx USD 50 to replace the shutter button casing (which includes the button). While I was there I thought what the hell and got them to make the 2 standard modifications that can be made on this camera for another USD 50 (show aperture in the viewfinder and enable the ISO slider to be used to adjust the shutter speed in half stops). They were able to do all the work in a couple of hours. In addition the advice they gave me on the E-10 error was that if it had only happened once then probably no need to spend the money to get it fixed. But if it kept recurring it would probably cost around USD 120 to get it permanently fixed. The guys there were friendly but not really the most knowledgeable on this particular camera. So when I pressed them on what the exact E-10 error meant they weren't really sure...</p>

<p>Oh well, since the error I have put through 4 more rolls of film (2 x 120 and 2 x 220) and have not experienced the problem again. I have been very deliberate in the winding of film after each shot so I am hoping that with careful handling I won't see the problem again.</p>

<p>Rgds<br>

Rick</p>