about iso auto

james_xie

<p>hi, guys: i have both nikon d3s , and d300 which is actually for my wife. when i set iso sensitivity to iso auto and also set the exposure mode to p, no matter what i shoot, the aperture and shutter speed number mostly don't change. only iso number changes. is this normal and why? thank you.</p>

<p>You can set the minimum shutter speed in the Auto ISO menu, as well as the max ISO you want the camera to use. I never use Program mode, it's too inconvenient for me, because the camera is always resetting the shutter speed and aperture every time, and I always have to spin the rear command dial to change it.</p>

<p>I'm always using Aperture Priority mode, so I can maintain control over my depth of field easily and without fuss, when I go to shoot again, the camera is just where I set it. With the D300 I usually set the minimum shutter speed to 1/30 and the max ISO to 1600, sometimes 3200. I found using Auto ISO very handy while on a trip, and going indoors and back outdoors again, such as at the Tower of London. Saved me a lot of time not having to manually reset the ISO all the time. </p>

<p>James, Dave might have just given you the answer. Do you use P or P* mode? In the latter auto ISO might be triggered.</p>

<p>Furthermore, what is the maximum exposure time that you set, that may influence auto ISO too.</p>

<p>Are you using these bodies as point and shoot only?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You're shooting with a D3s and are asking that question???</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, the question is okay, but what surprised me is a D3S user using P-mode. Though he was asking more from his wife's perspective, and she may be a newbie user.</p>

<p>If the D3s has the same menu choices as the D3 body, you have to out-think the camera. If you do not want Auto ISO, use the menu selection to pick a ISO (and the camera will not return to Auto ISO unless you pick that in the menu.)</p>

<p>The camera is a fine-mini computer, but it cannot think or choose what you want to do with it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That is the way the camera works if you use AutoISO and P mode. ISO will change only if there will be underexposure at the minimun shutter speed allowed, otherwise it would use the minimum ISO allowed.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For some reason only Nikon understands, Auto ISO does not disable itself when you set the camera to fully manual mode.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>think of it as an aperture/shutter-combination priority auto mode. As Nish said, it is useful in some conditions</p>

<p>THANK YOU GUYS. I FOUND THE ANSWER TOO. I JUST BOUGHT MY D3S THREE DAYS AGO AND LAST NIGHT MY WIFE WAS TRYING THE NEW CAMERA AND COMPARING HER D300. BECAUSE SHE WAS SHOOTING INDOOR AT NIGHT, THE APERTURE AND SHUTTER SPEED REACH THE MAXIUM NUMBER ALLOWED, STILL UNDER UNDEREXPOSURE. SO THE CAMERA INCREASE THE ISO TO GET CORRECT EXPOSURE. THANK YOU.</p>

Auto ISO is useful in manual mode as a workaround for nikon leaving out the 1/focal length option (with + and -). You can use the shutter speed as min shuter speed and change it quickly without diving into the menu. You just have to be sure you are going to be at > 200 or you will get overexposure.