Wedding Critique of the Week 7/26/10

picturesque

<p>This week's image was taken by Peter Zack.</p>

<p>This is Part 2 of Wedding Photo of the Week. You can see all submissions in the thread with that title. In your critiques - include what you would do to improve the shot or why the shot is perfect as it is.<br /><br />Remember that this is not a contest. Sometimes an image will be a winning image and sometimes an image that needs some help. Try not to just say "great shot" but explain why it works. Or - "Doesn't do it for me" without explaining why.<br /><br />The photographer up for critique for this week should remember that the comments expressed each week are simply "opinions" and the effort and focus of these threads are to learn and to take images to another level. There will be times where the critique is simply members pointing out why the shot works which is also a way for others to learn about what aspects contribute to a good wedding photo. In reading all critiques -- you may agree or disagree with some points of view - but remember that there are varying approaches and often no right or wrong answer.</p>

<p>Peter's Notes: Pentax K20D and DA*16-50mm Off camera strobe with a wireless trigger to light the couple against the background sky.</p><div>00WxJK-264115584.thumb.jpg.25f37b18ed46c005c460d10197783b21.jpg</div>

<p>Sorry, in my attempt to put it humorously I was probably being a bit brief and brutal. There are positive things about the picture, especially the dusk lighting. It's the arrangment of hands, hers looks as though it's pushing him away, his near her neck, and her body position, which seems to go a bit too far just to be explained by passion, which introduces the ambiguity. Once you've seen the alternative interpretation, I find it hard to get it out of my mind!</p>

<p>I'm not sure that the fill flash quite reached the couple and, while the colours are delicate, I think just a touch more light on them might have given it more oomph, contrast is a bit flat, and more of a pool of light on them, and an adjustment to the pose, perhaps might have made the image less ambiguous.</p>

<p>I do like the idea... however, the combination of the brides arch backwards and the grooms hand position certainly make it look like a more sinister act was being captured.</p>

<p>As for the technical stuff, it's underexposed, and I found the colours a bit flat. I think the off-camera flash was either too far away or underpowered, because I felt the b/g didn't pop out from the background (Which I'm assuming was the intention if flash was used?). I do love the reflection and the sunset, I've always been partial to those kinda shots.</p>

<p>I tweaked it a bit in Lightroom (about a minute's worth). Basically just upped the exposure and painted in some more on the b/g. Also boosted the colours and added a wee vignette. I cropped it a bit tighter, in part to move the b/g so they're looking into the frame, and in part because I felt that other than the reflection and the sunset colours, there wasn't much going on with the background, so better to put more emphasis on the couple. Thanks for sharing, and please note this is personal preference!!</p><div>00WxLo-264151684.jpg.858eb422faeea42a5b95abb04028e2d4.jpg</div>

<p>My thoughts on this fall in line similar with what has been said. I think the pose could use some work to be less awkward and a little bit more graceful. My tastes tell me the couple need a little bit more fill flash on them to really make them pop against the soft lighting of the background. I do really like the colors of the scene overall though.</p>

<p>I would also personally crop it a little bit tighter I think there is a lot more water below the couples reflection that doesn't really add to the scene as well as quite a bit of empty sky lacking clouds above their heads. If you brought it in a little bit it would be a stronger photo in composition. I really like what Blair did with the photo cropping wise.</p>

<p>Awkward pose. I like Blairs tweaks and not really fond of this cockeyed framing I did but it straightens the pose slightly I turned up the blue and green saturation and cloned out the hand of death. Just something different. Probably easily tweakable if shot in RAW for better fill effect. Without the arm there you might imagine his right arm was around her waist. Overall a memorable shot that I am sure the B&G are happy with. </p><div>00WxN1-264155684.jpg.d698bdb7a201f54649e1bc0124bcf34b.jpg</div>

<p>my first thought is that the whole frame looks a bit under exposed, which is evident in the histogram as well. You may have done it on purpose to separate the couple from the background using the strobe, but it looks like the strobe might have not gone off. Or at any rate, did not produce the intended effect.<br>

My second thought is that the sky and the water need a bit more contrast, the colors are there to work with but you need to bring them out a bit more either in photoshop or by changing your in-camera settings.<br>

And it does really look like he's stabbing her in the neck.</p>

<p>I hadn't realized this was chosen till now. I appreciate everyone's comments and will re read them a couple of times. This was a Jpeg ( shooting RAW+) straight out of the camera with no editing. I submitted it to get exactly these types of replies if it was chosen. Since it was shot in RAW, more could be done in PP.<br>

<br />I think everyone's comments are instructive and that's why I posted it this way. To learn how to do it better, suggestions for edits and so on. So I appreciate the replies. As for his hand, that is an issue and may require some detailed cloning as it's a major distraction. To his defense, he's a lousy (his words) dancer and wasn't really comfortable dipping her. So it's a touch awkward. </p>

<p>Second this was taken well after sunset and it was very dark. It was the only time we could try to capture the fading sunset light. So the lighting was a bit of a question mark. Too much strobe and the background was pitch black, too little was too silhouetted. I probably could have make a different choice (like putting one lightstand closer and in the water just off camera). With more time and hindsight, that should have been tried.</p>

<p>So from the RAW and a few of the suggestions here, here's an edited version. Pushing it much further is going to result in far too much noise.</p><div>00WxXg-264293584.thumb.jpg.57cedfbd3e0feb103ba8b970f355f97b.jpg</div>

<p>Not too sure about the pose, It's hard to tell what is happening. The image seems to have some detail and tone that could be worked on. I would increase the red sky and lighten up the couple and the image could be made to pop.<br>

Bill</p><div>00WxZt-264317584.thumb.jpg.0e8e5209d3f7ea3ae037e9200b6115cf.jpg</div>

<p>I know everyone has their preferences, but apart from the other suggestions (which I definitely agree with) I would have gotten lower to the ground when taking the photo, so they would be more prominent. The horizon line is chopping his neck. You would then just have the couple, the sky, and the reflection (which I think is the strong point here). The ocean in the background really isn't that interesting to me, at least in this photo. </p>

<p>Howdy!</p>

<p>If this is a posed shot, then this is a perfect example of how NOT to take a photograph. With a little more attention to exposure and posing, all the post processing stuff would not be necessary.</p>

<p>It would have worked much better to rotate the couple to a semi-profile rather than full profile. Also, the groom could have cradled the bride more effectively, without the distracting hand which makes him look like a Black Widower.</p>

<p>On the other paw, if the photographer was just following the couple and capturing the moment (highly unlikely given the awkward pose) then it's a great example of how to take a decent PJ shot, and make it a good to excellent shot with some post-processing.</p>

<p>Later,</p>

<p>Paulsky</p>

<p>I can't really add much, all the comments that have been added so far are quite fair, and of course we have all the time in the world to pose our couples as we would want all of our pictures would be much improved.</p>

<p>The picture quality of the sample given was already quite low (a few of the normal things I do like sharpening, lighting up, and adding tonal range to the sky made the pictures pixel blocks show up which is never good!) so I was rather limited, in the end I just did a quite dramatic "contrast range" element on this one, darkened the edges, and made it pop a bit with the blues. The couple is still rather, in a difficult pose and lighting but we work with what we have! The right idea was there, so good effort - keep shooting. :)</p>

<p> </p><div>00Wxcy-264339684.jpg.f19b2bfcc132547f07a92493adf159f8.jpg</div>

<p>Again I did not pick the best shot to submit. This is a learning thread and I appreciate everyone's comments. This isn't a shot that's going on the proof sheet. I have better. I wanted and got, some very good advice on how to take, pose and create this scene far better. One of course is get there before the light gets this dim :)</p>

<p>I hadn't considered the water line in the rear. Shooting lower would have been better and of course just trying a few different angles. No it wasn't posed, I let them just enjoy the moment and see what came naturally.</p>

<p>So all the comments are very instructive. Putting up a perfect shot would not teach much and thanks to everyone that took the time to post.</p>

<p>that second version you put up Peter was much better, a tad green though maybe. Just one last thought, I know how much trouble some folks have with doing a dip, so before I shoot, I usually have them show me what they are going to do so I can fix it ahead of time, I'll say "rotate a little more, put your hand here and your foot there, go a little lower". Of course I understand not having time to do that, especially when you're quickly running out of sunlight, so I don't know if I would have faired much better in your shoes, just a thought though.</p>

<p>Peter, better edit, but I'm not a fan of turning the horizon like that. When it's a horizon as obvious as that one, it just looks strange to me. It's a different story when you turn the camera, or image, and there isn't as obvious a horizon line. Then you can easily get away with turning it. To me it's very off-putting. Like you are in an earthquake.</p>

<p><em>"......this was taken well after sunset and it was very dark. It was the only time we could try to capture the fading sunset light. So the lighting was a bit of a question mark. Too much strobe and the background was pitch black, too little was too silhouetted." -Peter Zack</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

I don't understand your comment that it was pitch black since you have plenty of light in the background and the image was taken at f/7.1 @ 1/180th sec., ISO 800 with a 50mm lens. Seems to me that you had plenty of ambient light and could have pushed the power on your strobe for more fill. I think shooting it closer to f/5.6, 1/60th sec. and 400 ISO would have been my choice. I also don't think it's fair to blame the pose on the groom for being a poor dancer. Since this was a posed shot, you had control of the posing and timing and could have placed them in a more appealing "dancing dip".</p><div>00WyBb-264697584.jpg.3723a3d9755449b7db133afbc948db58.jpg</div>