Affordable but quick-to-adjust tripod?

gen_b.

<p>I'm looking for a new tripod/monopod/stability device for my Nikon D50. The longest lens I use on it is a 70-300mm zoom.<br>

Currently, I use a cheap <$40 tripod model that's stable, but very inconvenient for me. All the legs have about three rows of clips that are needed to adjust for height, and it takes way too long to achieve straightness, even with its bubble level. I miss countless shots while snapping, unsnapping, pulling, checking that it's level....you get the idea. This proves especially sad, when those great spontaneous shots arise, and my shutter speeds are just too low for handhold, and there's nothing around to rest the camera on, and there's no room or time to set up the tripod. I was thinking a monopod or gorillapod might be best for me, but they seem limiting.<br>

I need something very fast to operate/pleasant to use, and hopefully, very portable and light, as sometimes my camera accompanies me on hiking trips in the desert and in the city at night.</p>

<p>Wow, I have the same cheap tripod, I suspect -- not being a heavy user of the things. But I always found it convenient since you could just let the legs slide out all the way and push the clips tight with one hand.</p>

<p>I never worry about leveling the tripod itself, so long as I can get the <em>camera</em> level. I also use a Manfrotto-style 222 grip on a monopod which is even more a case of leveling the camera, rather than worrying about the verticality of the monopod even though it has a level bubble for some reason. I jsut figured it was another vestigial organ.<br>

Of course if you are assembling panoramas from panning shots or covering sports with a gimbal head, you probably do need to level the tripod itself, or close to it.</p>

<p>I presume your tripod has an head. Even an inexpensive 3-way head will allow you to level the camera one shot at a time. If you want the camera to be level when panning, as for a stitched panorama, then put a leveling device between the column and the head. Manfrotto and Acratech make suitable devices, which consist of a ball and socket joint and clamp, with +/- 7 degrees of movement. If you need fine height adjustments, then find a tripod with a column (if you don't have one already).</p>

<p>Stable, light and inexpensive is too much to expect. A Slik 700DX is very solid, tall and adjustable, and costs only about $150. It is not light, however, nor particularly portable (7 pounds, 37" when folded). A Gitzo GT2530 is just as solid, weighs only half as much and collapses to about 26", but costs over $600. You pay your money, you make your choice.</p>

<p>The old satin finish aircraft alloy aluminum tripod built by Marchioni bros. in NJ back over a half century ago fills that bill nicely. Recent 'surfing shows parts still available from after market source. I've had one for 25 years, sets up fast, is light and strong, supports 4x5 Graphic on down to Minox GT as well as just about any digicam. These get my vote!</p>

<p>I think rather than getting a new tripod you should learn to use your current one. Or at least know that getting a new pod won't solve your ease of use problems. Your less than $40 pod might be unstable and a better one will get you better stability but ease of use will be the same, i.e. you will still have the problems of locking leg clamps and leveling the camera. The leveling problem is solved with a head or a leveling device as mentioned above. I recommend a ball head. They are lighter than 3-ways in general and they are fast to use but have the drawback of not being as easy to fine tune.<br>

The leg lock problem you have can be solved by doing this. First tip the tripod upside down and unlock all the leg locks you think you need. Then tip the pod upright again and they should all fall out/extend. Then lock the legs, which is easy because the locks are all close to each other as the legs are still bunched together. Then splay the legs to whatever angle you want. Putting it away is the reverse of that. You need a tripod with smooth legs to do that though and I am not sure it will work with carbon ones because of the lack of weight.<br>

If you do buy a new pod get one with flip locks for the legs rather than twist ones. They are much faster to operate.</p>

<p>If your tripod has a video style head, you'll never get fast leveling, and of course you'll never be able to level the camera without leveling the legs. You should at least be looking for something with a three-way head or a ballhead that allows you to level the camera with the tripod itself crooked. Preference here varies, depending on whether you need speed in tracking (ball head) or ease of level framing (3-way). If the tripod isn't level you'll lose your level every time you pan, but it the head works easily this is no problem unless you're doing a panorama. Likewise, if your tripod has braced legs and no independent spread, it will be a bit harder to get level quickly, especially on tricky terrain.</p>

<p>I like the Slik 400DX as a relatively cheap compromise that's easy to set up and sturdy enough. It has a nice 3-way head that works smoothly. I'm sure there are some others these days in that range that would perform similarly. </p>

<p>However, you should beware of the advice to let the legs drop open. Some tripods, Sliks included, use plastic parts that will eventually shear off if you do that. If the legs and locks work properly, you won't lose much time operating them more gently.</p>

<p>What makes you want to have instant tripod response to quickly changing scenes? Low light. </p>

<p>So how about investing in a 128,000 ISO camera. That may be your cheapest bet for city nightshots on the street, people milling at bus stop, cafe entrance etc. Some high price Nikons, Canons can go up there and you could easily gain 6 stops over your D50. And be able to hand hold comfortably.</p>

<p>But a tripod, by its very construction and purpose requires timely (compared to the fleeting scenes you are (apparently) after) set-ups.<br>

Just having the camera on a tripod with a somewhat loosened head for easy swings around and reframing can result in good long time exposure shots with a bit of technique. Good luck! And do use a remote cable release ... of course you know that and do it anyway ....</p>