T90 + Metz SCA 3????

jodys

<p>OK, so I'm keeping my newly acquired T90, and my 300TL is indeed dead (now disassembled- RIP). However, I've been using Metz gear for many years, and fishing around an old camera bag I found a Metz SCA 311 and an SCA 312/AF. I currently own a Metz 60 CT4, a 45 CL1 and a 32 Z-2, the first & last of those work with SCA 300 and 3000 series adapters (I have the cord for the 60 CT4).</p>

<p>From what I remember last time I used these (I bought them the last time I owned a T90...), when using the SCA311 with my 60 CT-4, I got consistently underexposed photos. I never got the SCA 312/AF working, but that might be because I didn't know you're supposed to put batteries in it (!!!!). When I looked around online, I discover that the SCA311 should indeed work with the T90, might even have been developed just for the T90, and I should not have gotten a few underexposed shots on an otherwise perfect roll of Velvia run through a T90. What gives?</p>

<p>Metz says that their latest module, the SCA 3102 M7 will also work with the T90. I bought the M3 version recently, I'm waiting for that one to arrive in the mail.</p>

<p>Has anyone ever tried these SCA modules? Anyone know why the under-exposed photos with the SCA311?</p><div>00WwoL-263711584.jpg.bb79ca8d9e9127a9df958aac918e639c.jpg</div>

<p>I just finished a roll last night on the T90 with my SCA 311 and 32 Z-2. Almost all of the shots are significantly underexposed, some completely blank. It's possible I have a defective module, I will re-try today with detailed notes and the camera manual beside me. I might try the SCA 312/AF as well, I think the T90 will recognize it.</p>

<p>In 'Program' mode, the T90 was setting the lens for F-32 with the flash attached, I think. That might have been correct with the Mecablitz 60 CT-4 at 10 ft with 400 ASA film, but it's not right for the 32 Z-2.</p>

<p>Could it be a problem with the flash? Years ago, before I got my 300TL I used a Cullmann flash with the 311 module and found it worked fine. In fact, though I'm not a heavy flash user, I also had no problems with the Cullman's SCA TTL dedication on a Pentax SFX as well.</p>

<p>Edit, just read the above post... I guess it's probably not <em>both</em> flashes, but could it be the T90 body?</p>

<p>It's not doing TTL, it seems. When the flash is set on TTL, the camera is reading it as Manual/Full Power, and stopping down the lens accordingly - to f32 (not sure how, because without the AF-assist of EOS cameras, the T90 can't know how far away my subject is). When I set the flash on any of the 4 auto modes, the aperture setting in the T90 changes accordingly, and presumably the photos will be correctly exposed if the subject is within range. Speed goes to 1/90 though, instead of 1/250 (I know the Metz flash will sync at 1/250).</p>

<p>I'm going to have to charge up the 60 CT4 and try with that, then I'll know if the T90 just isn't talking with TTL flashes with the Metz adaptors.</p>

<p>I have the SCA311 and the 60CT4 combo and I have taken lots of pictures with the T90 in TTL mode without any issue. It's an outstanding setup for wedding photo!<br>

Note however that using Metz flashes instead of the 300TL, you loose the FEL feature, which is one of the nicest feature of the T90... I never understood why FEL would not work in multi-flash settings, that would have been fantastic!</p>

• 2 weeks later...