LPL 7452 VC

chris_waller

<p>I've just moved up to LF and have bought a second-hand LPL 7452 with VC head. The head has two settings (marked 1 and 2) for filtration, Kodak and Ilford. Could someone please tell me which is which?<br>

Also, here seems to be an extra spacer (about 3" deep and apparently there by the manufacturer's design) between the head and column such that I find that the easel (a 16 x 12") overhangs the front of the base board. Is this normal for the 7452?<br>

TIA.</p>

<p>Chris, I don't know which is which, except that at grade 3, the Kodak will be a lighter Magenta than the other one. So Kodak would be equivalent to 25 CC of Magenta (I don't know if you have a color analyzer to tell this), but it would look slightly more pink where the other would be darker (deeper magenta). BTW, the "other" one is not usually called "Ilford", but instead, "Durst".</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

Thanks for your reply. The head is marked "VCCE K & IF Module". I'm taking it that the 'CE' part of VCCE means 'constant exposure' (i.e. one can change between grades without having to adjust the exposure time). I'll check to see which is the more magenta at grade3 - that will be the one I want. My first print at grade 2.5 on the No. 1 setting was slightly flat.<br>

John,<br>

The wide angle theory is a distinct possibility. I'm just in the process of cutting a piece of thick MDF to make a deeper baseboard to sit on top of the existing baseboard. I'll hold it in place with small G-clamps.</p>

<p>I have the dichroic version of this enlarger, but the manual covers both types. According to the manual I have, "The scale for Kodak and compatible papers appears in the upper scale window, and the scale for Ilford and compatible papers in the lower scale window." Hope this helps.</p>

• 4 years later...

<p>The negative stage plate is 189mm width x 196mm depth. It puts the lens board about 6mm over the base plate. The hole to fit the film holders is 162mm diameter, centered at the front.</p>

<p>Notice that is not single plate, but a contoured one, with a prong to hold it on the base plate and two plastic "rails" at the sides. Hard to adjust (I have the "rails" shimmed), it is a good idea to make a really adjustable one.</p>

<p>BTW, don`t modify the base board. Much better to make a wall mount.</p>

<p>Dear Jose,<br>

Thank you very much for the info, very useful. I was wondering how are the plastic rails and how thick they are. It sounds strange to me because my bellows base plate is 19cm large and completely flat so I don'<br>

I have measured the spacing between negative carrier and bellows base plate, it is around 6mm so I suppose that the negative stage plate should be of this thickness in the center to prevent light going away. t understand where they go and to what they are used for. What do you mean by making it adjustable?<br>

I have observed some black traces on the diffusing glass plate under the lamp and just above the negative carrier. Is it a problem for exposure quality?<br>

Thanks again for the help</p>