TL500 A landscapers perspective

<p>I'm a DSLR landscape photographer who also very much enjoys using my compacts for this endeavor. They are just a lot of fun and can be very productive. Like any other camera, you get out of them what you put into them. It's fun just to see how far you can take them with their somewhat limited abilities.</p>

<p> Currently I have the Canon G9 and G10 and the S90, and the Panasonic LX3 and the G1 in my "compact" arsenal. Never thought that I would own a Samsung camera, I mean come on :-) But the last few weeks info has been twickeling out about the EX1. The camera looked kind of intriguing as a multi situation compact camera with a lot of features that could be useful out there in the field if you're into light weight wide field perspectives, so two weeks ago I picked one up.</p>

<p>I'm strictly a RAW shooter, but since LR3 is not recognizing the Samsung RAW's I'm using SF jpeg (gasp). I must say that I have never been so impressed with a camera file before. Rumour has it that it's the same sensor as the G11 and S90, so maybe it's the glass, but the files are so smooth and sharp with excellent rendition. A useful file to me is one that I can carve my vision into it with a little pp, and this one just flows better than my other compacts. </p>

<p>I've never posted any thoughts about my other compacts before, but this one has kind of inspired me from the files to the build and useful screen and controls, that are just awesome out there in the field. When I first handled and shot with it, my first thoughts were that this would be the perfect LX3 upgrade. Still think that.</p>

<p>Anyway, just a landscapers rant.....Thanks</p>

<p><a href="../photo/11252992">http://www.photo.net/photo/11252992</a></p><div>00Wvuo-263159684.thumb.jpg.d95ccc688d6d4449d4e2e91a9c684b47.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks. I've been using AF, but the MF is similar to the LX3. You access it with a button in the back with the same kind of scale. Not something that I really need though with my style.<br>

Another couple things that I have noticed, is that I always shoot manual with this camera and you can really control the DR more so than my other compacts. The lens is fast, but stopping down to the f/3 to f/4.4 range really improves the image quality. The TL500 needs stopped down a little more than my others.</p>

<p>The software it comes with is a version of silkypix, I read. The software should not be a factor in your purchase. Adobe Photoshop, LR etc... should update their RAW converter soon. Think Bibble was one of the first to work with EX1 RAW. </p>

<p>The other differences should decide the cameras for you. Do you need 24mm...S90 goes to only 28mm. LX3 only goes to 60mm on the long end. Only the samsung has a swivel LCD. S90 is the smallest etc, etc...</p>

<p>The LX5 was just announced:)</p>