Color accuracy - Cokin vs. Lee vs. Singh-Ray

bastian_bauwens1

Hi all,

I had some real issues with the color accuracy of Cokin filters (white clouds became pink when grad ND and ND filters were stacked), and

that's why I'd like to get better filters.

I had a look at Singh-Ray and Lee - what I like about Lee is that they offer sets that make the grad ND filters less expensive.

What are your experiences with color accuracy? Are the Lee filters as good as the Singh-Ray filters? Any reason not to go for Lee? And

what are the benefits of Singh-Ray?

Any advice from your experience is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bastian

<p>I use the Cokin X-pro filters and have never noticed any color casts. But I would not recommend stacking these filters. If I need a ND filter in addition to a grad ND, I use a screw-in glass ND multicoated filter. Also, color accuracy is not much of an issue when shooting raw images.</p>

<p>Cokin are well known for not being truly neutral. Hi-Tech are a more affordable alternative to Lee. I use Lee and I find they are about as neutral as needed. I can stack 2 GNDs with no problem. Singh Ray are nice but expensive and don't offer any real benefits over Lee/Hi-Tech. I also read somewhere that they aren't as neutral as you would believe them to be.</p>

<p>Oh, I found it: <a href="http://www.timparkin.co.uk/blog/grads">http://www.timparkin.co.uk/blog/grads</a></p>

<p>I have no experience with Singh Ray, so I can't comment on the neutrality of their filters though I will comment on their cost (high) in the context that they use the same optical resin as all the other brands. </p>

<p>I have a lot of experience with Hitech, some with Cokin P- though we're talking 15 years or more ago, and some with Lee. The view I have is that its hit and miss on neutrality with any of them. I use Hitech- I buy them direct from the factory and immediately on receipt check for neutrality and send back for replacement those that don't look right sitting on a lightbox or sitting on white paper or paintwork in north light. About half go back. HiTech seem happy to replace on my request, though why they bother sending filters out to a pro photographer with a track record of being picky is beyond me when they have the ability to test for neutrality at their factory. I have seen Lee filters with pinkish casts strong enough to tint clouds on transparency film. </p>

<p>The horrific thing is that if I put the <em><strong>filters I've kept </strong></em>on a lightbox I get an array not far away from what you'd see on Tim Parkin's page linked above. Also I'm conscious that its not easy for everyone to buy direct and to keep swapping till they're happy as I do.</p>

<p>I'm sorry I can't give you more positive indications, and you should read the Parkin link above too. The thing is that I know because I've spoken to the companies that Hitech and Lee claim to be set up to test for neutrality . I can assume only that their manufacturing and QA tolerances are so wide that a lot of bad ones get through.</p>

<p>To be fair probably a strong majority of photographers today don't need dead neutral- either because they're shooting digital and are used to tinkering with colour balance on many shots, or because they scan their film work and need to adjust colours regardless. But the only way to get a satisfactory solution- not perfect you understand, but workable- is to secure the right to get replacements on anything you don't consider neutral enough.</p>

<p>I still wouldn't suggest Cokin. I feel that in a market where all products scratch then Cokin scratch easier than others and seem to be more visible in a photograph than other brands.</p>