Can I use Arca type plate on RRS lever clamp ?

shiang_wang1

<p>I currently have GT2531 (3 lb.) and Arca Swiss Z1 (1.3 lb.) with lever clamp. I find it a little too heavy for hiking even after I remove the center column.</p>

<p>I did some search, and think RRS BH-25 ballhead (0.5 lb.) fits the bill and save me about 1 lb. I usually only carry a SLR and a wide angle prime lense when I hike, I think the capacity of this lightweight ballhead is sufficient. The problem is RSS has a disclaimer that their lever clamp only work with specific plates, my Kirk L plate is not one of them. The other choice is BH-25 with screw knob, but I have grown to love the lever clamp, hope I don't need to give it up. Have any of you tried Kirk plate on RRS lever clamp? Did I overlook other lightweight ballhead? Thanks for any advice.</p>

<p>the BH-25 isn't really a ballhead, once you loosen the one control, the whole thing flops around. You'd be better off considering the BH-30 or the Markins Q3. You can call RRS re: whether the Kirk will fit but the tolerances are pretty tight and they only 'support' the RRS L brackets or the Wimberly's on the lever clamp.</p>

<p>I have the RRS BH-25 and it's way too small for the GT2531. I have one on a GT0531 and it's just adequate for a D90 and 16-85 or 10-24 and at 2 pounds the lightest weight I could achieve for long hikes. The Markins Q3-T is much more stable and I have one on a GT1531, but it's 3.3 pounds and the best overall compromise in stability vs weight.</p>

<p>I just replaced the RRS Lever quick release on my Arca Swiss Z1 (on GT2541ex) with a Kirk quick release. The RRS lever is heavier and not compatible with my Novoflex Castel-Q macro focusing rail. Some things fit in the RRS lever and others don't - makes it too much of a crap shoot with expensive gear to be worth it.</p>

<p>Shiang, I have a similar set up with a AS B1 head that I understand is a little heavier head than the Z1. I also have the Kirk BH1 and BH3 heads. I have used all three of these heads on a GT 2531 and like the BH3 when I need to save weight. While my heads are 8-10 years old now I know that the all the new Kirk heads have a new screw knob that releases much faster. I personally like the screw knob design and upgraded my BH1 to the new screw knob quick release and now suffer less from lever release envy than in the past, especially when I shoot with a long lens and worry about the lever snagging on something and opening up. The Really Right stuff gear is very good. I own several RRS items and I struggle to understand the incompatibility issues but I guess they are what they are. I would recommend the new version of the Kirk BH3 that weighs 19 oz with bubble level quick release. I have never had incompatibility problems with RRS or Wimberley stuff with Kirk quick release clamps. I love the security of my AS B1 but the Kirk Ball heads are extremely smooth. As I grow older I have realized that smaller is not always better with respect to ball heads though as I am starting to show signs of wear and tear I agree that weight is an issue. Sorry to muddy the water. Good hunting. Andy</p>

<p>I think I will consider either RRS BH-30 or Markins Q3 Traveller. The weight of Kirk BH3 is pretty close to the Z1 I have, just 1-2 oz. difference. For car trip or short hike, I will carry Z1. It looks like if I choose Q3, I will be able to use lever clamp, something to think about even it is a bit heavier than BH-30.</p>

<p>Eventually I will have to get GT1541 or GT1541T if the reduced weight on the ballhead is not enough. That is whole different debate and decision making. Thank you all.</p>

<p>The Markins Q3T is an excellent ballhead. I bought one and a Gitzo 1541T tripod for a trip recently and was very pleased with the performance, which "retired" my older Gitzo tripod. The Q3T was specifically redesigned for the 1541T, and Markins clamps are designed to accommodate as many Arca-Swiss type plates as possible, unlike RRS clamps. <a href="http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=538298">There's a huge thread on the Canon forum about the Q3T/1541T rig</a>.</p>