A minimal unobtrusive Work-out of Bag for the D700

jim_mohundro1

<p >When I moved from a D80 to a D200, I found I could just fit my camera body and a couple of lenses in the Domke F-5XB medium shoulder/belt bag and it would store essentially flat (it’s an attaché-type small case) in my backpack for air travel. It’s small so I would carry the charger and cord, the Rocket Blower and miscellaneous accessories in a separate plastic Ziplock bag. On arrival, I’d reassemble the body with favored (for the outing) lens, and stick the alternative lens in a pocket in lens wrap. In my “D80/D200 days” I was shooting a 16-85 VR and a 35AFD. I’d then insert the D80/D200 with lens either on its side or face down in the Domke F-5XB for carrying between shots (European big cities, uncertain security). The D80/D200 with lens and strap barely fit, bulging out the bag—but it worked.<br>

When I acquired my D700 (economically necessitating the sale of the D80/200 and the 16-85) I found that there is no way that the D700, even with the 35 (my “walkaround” lens) would fit the bag.<br>

Now I’m looking for a small (not much longer, at least, than the F-5XB) to carry just the D700 and 35 mounted. Unfortunately, the smallest dimension for the D700 is its height, 4.8”, so I’m looking for the smallest, well-made shoulder bag that will accommodate the D700 and 35. If there’s a bit of extra room, I’d stick in one of my AI-s short (105 and 135) telephotos but this is not a deal breaker. Domke does not appear to offer anything appropriately just large and also small enough to meet my needs—which also include, of course, an unobtrusive, non-camera bag appearance. Backpacks or fanny packs are neither handy nor secure where I've traveled so a front-facing bag on which I can keep my hand at rest, where appropriate, is absolutely necessary.<br>

The Domke F-5XB's interior dimensions are about 9.5W x 4D x 6H. Given the dimensions of my camera with, say, the 35mm f/2, I'd need a bag with something like interior minimums of 5" (D700 height is 4.8") x 6"(D700 width is 5.5") x 5" (D700 + the 35 is about 4.7")<br>

Ideas here would be mightily appreciated.</p>

<p>I use 35/2 Nikkor on D700 for possible smalest and lightest camera with FX sensor.<br>

All bags for D70, D200, D300S were either too small or too big, and my collection of infrequently used or useless bags grows.<br>

By walking with D700 + 35/2 I tried many cases, and finally settled for LowePro D. Res 40 AW. Not that I particularly like it, is too soft and may not protect well...and still looking for a better one. I found even smaller one at Fry's but did not have my camera with me.<br>

Seems like I will never be satisfied with camera bags, since I have too many lenses and cameras...madness continues.</p>