Best Buy's "Phone Shame" rules

henryp

<p>http://www.phoneshame.com/rules.php</p>

<p>By entering, entrant agrees that the <strong>submission becomes the property of Sponsor</strong> and will not be acknowledged or returned. By submitting an entry, each entrant warrants and represents that it is an original entry created by the entrant, <strong>and grants (and agrees to confirm such grant in writing) to Sponsor the perpetual, unlimited and irrevocable right to post, publish, adapt, edit and/or otherwise use the entry in any manner, including copyright, and in any media now known or hereafter developed, without any credit, compensation or accounting to you</strong>. You acknowledge that, by entering your entry, Sponsor does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsor, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than you. Sponsor is not responsible for the content of the entry. The entrant is solely responsible for the content of his/her entry.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I have told this story before ,if you heard it please accept my apology. Years ago Best Western hotels was going to put out a giant book that had photos of every one of their hotels in it. You would look at the book when you were in a hotel room, find a state or city and look at the pretty photo of the front of the hotel. They did this by having a photo contest, where the entrants took a photo of the front of the hotel with the Best Western sign in it. The rules said, that they could use the photos for their advertising for free if you entered the contest. This was a brilliant move, because they got free use of photos for the book, for the price of the prize, which if I remember was about a $1000, and a free stay at a BW hotel. They got photos from all over the world. I am always suspicious of why someone is having a contest and what they have to gain by my photos being entered, in fact many charge you a entrance fee, to give them the free photos. </p>

<p>Phone Shame is Best Buy's new ad gimmick to get you (us) to go out and buy the latest and greatest cell phone - because obviously we should be ashamed of ourselves if we have a brick mobile phone from the 80's or an early 2000 model that doesn't text. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>My phone makes phone calls. Doesn't take pictures or connect to the internet.<br>

My camera takes photos. Doesn't make phone calls or connect to the internet.<br>

My computer connects to the internet. Doesn't make phone calls or take pictures.</p>

<p>I like it that way. I'm so ashamed....</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>are ad campaigns getting more and more moronic?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It may be brilliance if such campaigns convince people to buy products. Its the responding audience that may deserve that description. I'm frequently amazed at what works to get people to buy stuff.</p>

• 2 weeks later...