Hello all

I've had my Minolta CLE for over 2 years now and love it. However, I

would like to get a second body. I would like to get what I consider

to be the modern interpretation of the Minolta CLE, the Voigtlander

Bessa R2.

Does anyone know how the light meter in the Minolta CLE compares to

the light meter in the new Bessa R2? I would like to get an R2,

however, if it's lightmeter is not better or at least the equal of

the CLE, I'll stick with what I have and maybe buy a new lens instead.

Thanks in advance for everyones responses.

Regards

Sergio

I have a CLE and I find its lightmeter, while adequate, can be easily fooled by certain lighting situations, such as when the sky appear in the picture frame or when there are other bright light sources. I haven't used the Bessa R2, but I have tried out a friend's Bessa T, and I assume that its lightmeter is the same as that in the Bessa R2. If that's the case, then I would say that the Bessa's lightmeter seems better than the CLE's, in the sense that it appears to be less easily fooled. I used the compact CLE as a backup for my bigger-size and heavier cameras, and if you're using the CLE as the main camera, I'd suggest an even more compact quality point-&-shoot, such as the Ricoh GR1s (with an excellent 28mm f/2.8 lens), as a backup. But if you ask me, I'd prefer to spend money on new lenses rather than camera bodies.

Hello Hoyin

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I too have found that the light meter on the CLE is easily fooled. In situations where you have bright light and shadows, suching as looking outside from indoors, I get either burnt out highlights or no details in the shadows. I think a handheld lightmeter and manual setting on the CLE may be the answer

If they would only make a rangefinder in Leica M-Mount with an evaluative metering system, or even a spot meter. I guess all that technolgy is going to the new digital point and shoots.

Best Regards

Sergio