Advice please for yachting photography?

triciakennedy

<p>I usually shoot landscapes but tomorrow a very beautiful, old-style 160ft schooner will sail into harbour here and I would like to get some good shots. A flotilla of small boats will go out to greet the schooner as she makes her approach and I will be on one of those small boats with my camera. Does anyone have any advice for me as to the best technique? I'm hoping to capture the beautiful sails and lines of the yacht. I have only one camera body - a Canon 5D MkII and I thought that my 70-200 f2.8 IS L (MkI) lens would be best. I also have a 1.4 extender and a 24-105 L lens but I think it might be tricky trying to change lenses whilst on the RIB. I usually use manual mode but possibly shutter priority might be more appropriate? Any advice from anyone experienced in yachting photography will be much appreciated. My thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I've shot "tall ships" a couple of times. The 70-200 is good for shooting the schooner as it approaches, before it gets surrounded by all the little boats buzzing around like flies and getting into the picture. Once you're up close, you're going to need something wide or ultra wide depending on the type of shot you're trying to get, especially for trying to get the whole ship while keeping the little boats out of the picture. If you get on board, the 70-200 is good for detail shots of things you can't get to, like up in the rigging, or for throwing the background out of focus. But you will definitely need something wider as well since there isn't a lot of room to back up and there will be other people in the way. Changing lenses is a fact of life whether you're on dry land or out on the water, but be careful. I've never lost a lens overboard but I did lose a snap-on lens hood once. Back about 1982, I was on a 150-foot schooner (wish I could remember the name) that sailed up the Chesapeake Bay "in company" with the original Pride of Baltimore. Got great shots of the Pride ship-to-ship. 28mm on a Nikon F2 (full frame film of course back then) for the whole ship or most of it, 105 and 200 for closer shots and closeups, like crew along the rail, etc. Then we put a Boston Whaler over the side and shot both ships individually and together at sunset. I was using a the 28 for most of that but I was able to tell the Boston Whaler operator where to go so I could get the whole ship in or to go closer, and there weren't other small boats to get in the way. This was not long before the Pride was lost in a storm.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have little experience of yachting photography. but I could imagine a crucial factor would be the ability to get the guy driving the RIB to slow down or even stop while you get your shots. If you are traveling at any speed, I would imagine the ride would be pretty bumpy and there would be a lot of flying spray. I think I would be inclined to keep the camera in a waterproof cover and take it out only when actually shooting. I would also have towels in my pockets to wipe the camera off! Shutter priority sounds good - if the RIB is moving fast, you will need the highest possible speed., particularly with a 200 lens. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks to you both for the advice. <br>

@Craig - I don't have anything wider than my 24-105 so I guess I will just have to make do with that but thanks for pointing out that I will probably encounter the clutter of small boats - good point! I'm also after all the lovely vintage details.<br>

@David - yes, slowing down the RIB will be important - and towels!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hopefully you can get out into open water early AM for nice morning light, and few small boats in your way.<br>

If your kit bag has no 'rain' cover, get a plastic trash bag or two. You could use one if necessary if changing lenses - or perhaps just use it anyways even if not a chance of splashing! also, be careful if you need to change memory cards.<br>

I always carry a few poly bags of different sizes for 'emergencies'</p>

<p>Where can we see what you are able to capture. I live near Newport, Rhode Island, USA and have great appreciation for old, wooden yachts.</p>

<p>Unless the water is very smooth and it's a very bright day, you will find the 70-200 unusable at its wider end. A RIB bounces around a lot. Even on a more stable platform like a yacht and holding the lens as stable as possible, I found much more than 100mm at maximum aperture hard to use without blur.</p>

<p>You'll mainly be wanting to use a standard to wide angle lens, you'll only want the tele for when the schooner is on the horizon in any case.</p>

<p>Obviously, salt water kills cameras. And a RIB can be a very wet environment, especially with lots of other boats around, things cang et choppy - protect your cameras and lenses well. A water/spray cover may be a good investment. Keep the lid of your lens bag buttoned down.</p>

<p>Yes, plastic bags - I almost forgot! I am concerned that the RIB will bounce around and with a flotilla of small boats around as the welcome party, I think it will be choppy. I hope the IS will help me. Great advice about the lenses - thanks. So, it's the 70-200 for when she is at a distance and the 24-105 for closer. Thanks again for the helpful advice. </p>

<p>How many pairs of shoes do you own?<br />I’ve been scolded by the boyfriend to not buy anymore shoes (even<br>

though I have another pair on their way in the mail). I have 56 pairs<br>

of shoes right now and I can’t help but feel that I’m still missing<br>

that "perfect pair". haha. I’m curious - go in your closet now and<br>

count how many shoes you have. This isn’t a contest so please be<br>

honest. Thanks!<br>

<a href="http://www.themixcity.com">www.themixcity.com</a></p>