D90 and Video Mode in Portrait Position

diane_madura

<p>I apologize if this has been covered before. If it has, I cannot find the answer on any forums.</p>

<p>I took a video in portrait orientation using a D90. I don't have my camera set to display pictures that were taken in portrait orientation in the proper way. That means that a video taken in portrait orientation plays back sideways. </p>

<p>Does anyone know how to change it to play back in the upright position?</p>

<p>You can certainly rotate that video in a video editing application such as Final Cut Express on the Mac or probably Premiere on the PC. Then re-render it so it plays out properly on other people's systems.</p>

<p>Keep in mind, there's really no such thing as a practical "sideways" video application.</p>

<p>I don't know. I accidentally shot a video in portrait orientation not too long ago. I just wasn't thinking, since the camera was on a "photo" tripod. A video head doesn't have that adjustment to go sideways. I just plum forgot as I was "thinking photo". I didn't use that video, I was just messing around, but I'm sure this happens quite often.</p>

<p>Again, video packages CAN often rotate these. Give it a try. But you will have to re-render and it will look small on your TV.</p>

<p>Hey, it happens. People don't know what they don't know, until they figure it out.<br /><br />I did have an acquaintance ask about shooting some tutorial macros showcasing her very meticulous silk embroidery work (tiny, tiny stuff). She did some Googling, but said that all it did was make her more confused. But she did conclude that it sounded like she was going to have to get a pinhole camera. We've straightened that out, now, and she's all set. She hasn't asked about video yet, though!</p>

<p>Oh my. *snerkle*</p>

<p>Please excuse me as I'm laughing hysterically with you, OP, and not at you. :-)</p>

<p>I could totally see myself making this same mistake. There are some video processing applications that might be able to do this, but you will lose a lot of sharpness as a result. AVI Demux comes to mind as an open-source video editor (and a powerful one too). It's free for Linux and I 'think' they may have a Windows version. Sadly, I don't think it is a super user-friendly piece of software, but if you are pretty good with software I'm sure you can figure it out.</p>

<p>If I can think of any others I'll put them up here, but since I use Linux as my Operating System nowadays, I've kind of lost touch with Windows/Mac stuff. Hope that is of some small help to you.</p>

<p>This thread just made my day.</p>

<p>Stefan's idea is great, just disassemble the video into separate frame files, then do the rotations for thousands of video frames, and then re-assembly all frames into one video file, then we are set...<br>

There must be some solution out there, to do it globally on all video frames in one process step?<br>

... though, we may need more help from Stefan since he kind of offerred it:</p>

<p>"I've done that a while back; would have to look again into it to see how it works exactly."</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I never done that, for no reason to do it.<br>

I use infrequently various video editing software, for different ease of use and features. Have not found yet a single video application that would be easy and robust...</p>

<p>The full version of Sony Vegas has tutorial how to rotate video. <br>

I would have to shoot short video in wrong orientation, and try to rotate entire movie, not that I like to do it.<br>

I hope someone already knows how to do it, so I would not pursue this...</p>

<p>As I said, it's an easy thing. This is the answer that helped me: "if you have quicktime pro, you can go to movie, get movie properties, then hit the movies dropdown menu, and select the 2nd movies in that drop down menu. after that, in the right hand column, go to size, then you can rotate the movie."</p>