'Almost Genius: A Camera That Decides the Best Pic to Take'

<p><a href="http://www.fastcodesign.com/1661952/almost-genius-a-camera-that-decides-the-best-pic-to-take">http://www.fastcodesign.com/1661952/almost-genius-a-camera-that-decides-the-best-pic-to-take</a><br>

Interesting stuff. The thought that occurs to me is on what principles the designer has based his 'aesthetics inference engine'; it's not explained in the article, nor on his own website, but I'd love to know. Perhaps in future one could load custom 'aesthetics inference engines' according to the style of photography, or photographer we'd like to achieve. The Cartier-Bresson AIE might give us a percentage rating on how successfully we've captured a chap jumping into a puddle.<br>

The question I ask is, what aesthetics inference engines would you like to see, and why?</p>

<p>Based on the video, it looks like the "aesthetics inference engine" is just a rule of thirds algorithm. So, what do you do if you can't get to 100% - give up and skip the shot? Maybe Herr Kupresanin could develop a robot that will take this camera and go out and do all your photography for you.</p>

<p>It's pretty ironic that my browser taskbar displays an "error or page" message on that link...</p>

<p> There was software that rated pictures (based on Flickr ratings) back around 2007, and talk of putting it into cameras back then, so as the photographer framed the picture, the camera would tell them how it would rate on Flickr. </p>

<p> Since it will do all the thinking for me maybe it could take itself out to the e-waste bin and jump in. That would be very useful and save me some trouble. Then I would have a bit of extra time for some pancakes and coffee.</p>

<p>I see something like this being used like a light meter or placed in conjunction with a light meter. Something off camera to advise, but I can't imagine how effective it would truly be.<br>

Last year, researchers at the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors put a couple of writers through a computerized program to rate and judge some of their more famous works. The results were a bit off, to say the least. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article6913318.ece <br /><br /><br>

As for the AIE I would want, I think a landscape aesthetic would be a doable proposition. In conjunction with a GPS the program could rate the scene from you location or suggest a new one based on the time of day, what season it is, and previous imagery.<br>

It's similar to Photoshop CS5's content-aware fill discussions I've read. Does the technology destroy the aesthetic or make it easier to do the "professional work"?</p>

• 4 weeks later...