Lee Holder WA Adapter Compatible With Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR?

dbcooper

<p>Does anyone know if a Lee 77mm WA adapter ring (the one with recessed threads) will mount directly on the new 16-35mm f/4G VR lens? From the photos I've seen online, it appears it'd have the same interference problem with the bayonet grooves for the lens hood that a 17-35 f/2.8D does. For the moment, I'm nowhere near any shop where I could just take the adapter ring in and try it. TIA.</p>

<p>Don't know about this lens, but do remember that there are actually two different versions of the Lee 77mm WA adapter ring. I had one from my Pentax 67 days which wouldn't work with my Nikon 12-24mm lens. I contacted Lee and they swapped it for a newer version that would work with that lens, the original version just can't catch the thread on the lens to connect properly.</p>

<p>THe Lee Wide Angle Adapters work on MOST lenses, including most telephoto lenses. But I have found two lenses where I had to use the standard adapter instead. The recessed flange wouldn't fit over the casing of the lens in both cases.</p>

<p>Oddly enough, both at "wide-angle" lenses.</p>

<p>Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX</p>

<p>Canon 24 mm f/2.8 TS-E II</p>

<p>My advice would be to order the adapter, try it, and send it back for a replacement if it doesn't work. The Lee system is excellent.</p>

<p>For now, I'll continue to use a 20mm f/2.8D when I need to go wider than the 24mm end of the 24-70 with ND grads. <br>

Allan: you gave me an idea...I might see about getting a 77mm WA adapter machined for clearance. Just eyeballing it with a tape looks like about there's about .125" of metal before it'd break through into the holder groove...about half of that ought to do the trick and still be strong enough.<br>

Dan: we can add the 17-35 f/2.8D and 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR Nikkors to the list. A standard non-WA 77mm adapter ring works fine on the latter lens. The 77mm WA adapter fits fine on a 12-24 f/4 DX lens.<br>

P: Maybe I need to look into a 130mm holder like Cokin X-Pro, unless Lee will make threaded adapter rings for their upcoming 150mm filter holder that they're developing for the 14-24 f/2.8 Nikkor (no threads). I'll email them and follow up here. </p>

<p>Thanks to all for your time and effort responding.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the standard (not wide-angle) 77mm adapter causes serious vignette effect from 16-20mm </p>

</blockquote>

<p>How many slots are you using? The Lee holder comes with three slots, but with a screwdriver (included in the kit) you can trim it down to one or two slots. I have used a two-slot version at 12 mm (DX) with minimal vignetting. Trimming it down to one slot should be even better. How many slots do you need these days? Color correction filters aren't really necessary with digital cameras, so all you'll have to mount are ND filters, ND grads, or the occasional special effects filter.</p>

<p>It happens when just the adapter ring is on between 16-20 mm focal length on 16-35VR--without the holder. so it is clearly caused by the adapter ring not being close enough to the lens. I woud suspect the wideangle adapter ring would be ok-it's closer--but the shop didnt have one in stock</p>

• 2 weeks later...