Lightroom - D300s card eject problem!

radicalgel

<p>Hey Guys,</p>

<p>I use lightroom 3 with my D300s (with a Lexar 300x 8gb CF card). I have the "auto eject after import" option checked and this feature worked perfectly with my D80 (SD card) but LR 3 keeps saying "unable to eject card" when I connect my D300s to my mac. I dont use a card reader, I directly connect my camera to the laptop. Also my D80 used to mount as a drive on the desktop but this doesn't happen with my D300s so can't even tell if the card has been ejected properly or not. Hope someone can help me out here.</p>

<p>Specs:</p>

<p>Camera: D300s (Firmware 1.01)<br>

CF Card: Lexar 300x 8gb<br>

Laptop: MacBook Pro (Late september 2008 model)<br>

RAW Software: Lightroom 3</p>

<p>AFAIK, the D300s no longer has the "mass storage" option the D80 had - so the camera won't appear as a drive on the desktop and can only accessed through transfer software. Probably for the same reason, the "eject" won't work. My advice: get a card reader; except in an "emergency" I would not connect my camera directly to a computer. For one thing, the image transfer drains the camera battery - and it's slower than a card reader too. Then, I rather knock a card reader accidentally off the desk than the camera. And if you have more than one card to transfer, it's even more unwieldy. Not to mention if you shoot with more than one camera, as you now have to keep track of which card was in which camera.</p>

<p>the USB is cheaper but FW is faster and more $$ (about 2x more expensive). Your choice. Also, the nicer thing about USB is that its universal if you find yourself having to use a different laptop or machine w/o FW.</p>

<p>In the end I got the Sandisk USB unit but also make sure it's USB 2.0 (I use a D300 and Macbook Pro)</p>

<p>As noted above, the card reader will also make your camera battery last longer for taking photos, rather than transferring images to your computer. If you have a nearly full 8 Gb card, you probably need a nearly full-charge on your camera's battery. The card reader <em>would make for less <strong>on time</strong></em> for your camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Does your MBP have the ExpressCard 34 slot? If so, I like the ExpressCard 34 readers. They're pretty fast (faster than USB, though not as fast as the fastest FireWire readers) and much more compact -- much easier to take with you, and no cables to futz with.</p>

<p>Some laptop computers have Express 34 port/slot implemented internally over USB bus, and any Express 34 interface attached there will have severe limitations on speed, by the speed of USB 2.0. Express 34 ports must NOT be implemented as a internal USB, but it is hard to know just by looking at a laptop.</p>

<p>I have 2 interfaces that are implemented on the Express 34 card, the Compact Flash memory reader, and the USB 3.0 two ports interface. Luckily my laptop Express 34 interface is not implemented on an internal USB bus.<br>

The Compact Flash reader seems as fast as the USB 3.0 and the eSata port, much faster than the USB 2.0 or FireWire.</p>

<p>" D300s no longer has the "mass storage" option" - and rightfully so.</p>

<p>DSLR is not a computer, and writing back to memory card in a DSLR was causing problems, and memory corruption. There was no limitation what and how people write to memory on a computer, and then insert that memory in a camera.</p>

<p>Scroll down on post:<br>

<a href="../wedding-photography-forum/00Wqjn?start=10">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00Wqjn?start=10</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hey thanks guys for all the feedback. yes my MBP does have an express card slot but I guess ill get myself a USB 2.0 reader for best flexibility.</p>

<p>Can anyone suggest a good brand and model. Also where I can get it in Bangalore, India cuz I can't seem to find SanDisk or Lexar readers anywhere here. :(</p>