every day lens for nikon d5000

niki3

<p>hi, i'd like to know wich is the best every day lens for my nikon d5000. not so expensive, off course! i have sigma 10-20 4-5.6; sigma 18-50 2.8; terrible nikon 70-300 mf; tamron 18-270 (really not bad).<br>

i can not choose between sigma or nikon 24-70 (too expensive); or nikon 18-105 (very cheap but i read it's a great lens) or sigma 18-125.....or what else?<br>

i need this lens for travel, street shot, portrait or occasional macro. thank you</p>

<p>it sounds to me like you've already got a really nice selection of lenses already. what can't you do with any of those that makes you want another lens now?<br>

i do notice you've got no prime lenses. a nice, fast prime like the nikon 35/1.8 would make a worthy addition to your kit, i think.<br>

still, i don't know what you think you're missing.</p>

<p>You do not need 24-70 on a crop camera... Your Sigma 18-50 is the perfect walk-around lens... For a smaller setup Nikon 35/1.8 fits great on D5000. If your budget is generous, a Tamron 60mm f2 or 90mm f2.8 will add macro, portrait and a fast moderate telephoto.</p>

<p>I'd take the sigma 18-50, that's all I'd need for travel and "street". If you need occasional macro, depending on the magnification you need perhaps a diopter will work, or an old MF micro nikkor if you understand exposure.</p>

<p>Don't get bought up with the ideal "portrait" lens. http://www.photo.net/learn/portraits/<br>

Excellent portraiture photography has been doing with anything from fisheyes to super telephotos.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Alvin <- hopes to shoot portraits with a 300/2.8VR one day :3</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You need nothing imho. My everyday lens is a 35mm f1.8 on my D90.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Peter. Question for you. My everyday lens is a 50 mm 1.8 on a D80. Is the 35 mm noticeably wider than the 50 mm? Specially in restricted indoor locations like say a museum?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Nish, it's like the difference between 50 and 75 on a Full Frame camera. I think it's way more useful for most general photography on DX, but the 50 is still one you can use in a pinch for a portrait. The 35 not so much.</p>

<p>I find my 50mm f1.8 gets almost no use since I got the 35. More useful field of view, focuses lightning fast, nice and small and light.</p>

<p>How about this option.....Sell all your lens and buy <strong>Nikon 18-200 VRII </strong>and <strong>Nikon 60mm Micro.</strong><br>

I t will cover you need; street, potrrait, lanscape, macro<br>

You will travelling with small camera bag only....:)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Trade a f/2.8 zoom and an ultra-wide, to get the 18-200VR? I sure wouldn't. It would be 3 steps back.<br>

For travelling light, street, as a zoom I could recommend the 16-85VR, but I'd hold on to the lenses you already have, except possibly the 18-270 and if you dislike it, the 70-300. You'd win convenience, and that's it.</p>

<p>A fast prime of 30-35mm is extremely useful and fun to use. It's a "can't-miss"-addition to the bag, IMHO.</p>

<p>I love my Tamron 18-270 VC. A lot of people here don't like superzooms, but if you seldom make prints larger than 8x10 (or 8.5x11), the newer ones are more than sharp enough in my opinion. It and the 18-50 f/2.8 make very good everyday lenses (one or the other). If you want to upgrade something get a Nikon 70-300 VR or Sigma 70-300 OS if the Nikon is too expensive. OS is Sigma's version of VR.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I love my Tamron 18-270 VC. A lot of people here don't like superzooms, but if you seldom make prints larger than 8x10 (or 8.5x11), the newer ones are more than sharp enough in my opinion.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mark, it is more than than. Those slow super zooms are slow to focus indoors. Nikon auto focus does not support anything lower than f5.6. That is why most of us prefer f2.8 zooms indoors or perhaps f1.8 and 1.4 lenses.</p>

<p>Shun, I realize that they have limitations. I consider them to be a useful part of a kit of lenses. I also have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 50-150 F/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 28mm f/1.8, and Nikon 70-300 VR that cover the same focal lengths. I choose the lens(es) that I use at any given time based on on my needs at the time.</p>

<p>The OP asked about an everyday lens. Of all the lenses I have, I find the 18-270 VC to be the best everyday lens for me. Depending the the OP's needs and preferences, I think that it could be the best for him too.</p>

<p>BTW, while the 18-270 VC focuses slower indoors than the other lenses I have, it is seldom a problem. When it is I use the faster lenses.</p>