Cleaning lens in the rain

goldbergbarry

<p>I bought a Kata E-702 Large Digital SLR Camera Raincover for my D90 and it works great. I have no trouble using it as it keeps the camera dry and lens internals dry. I even used in at Niagara Falls on the Maid of the Mist boatride. </p>

<p>My question is this. With the bag, the front glass is exposed. What is the best way to clear the water from it while using it? Otherwise you get a lot of water drops on the lens. I ended up wiping it with my finger but I don't think that is the best thing to do. </p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>1. As everyone else said, make sure the water is being intercepted by a protective filter, and not landing on the front element of your lens.</p>

<p>2. Use a puff of air from something like a hand-held rubber blower to first move all the visible droplets to the bottom of the filter, then wick them off with the edge of almost any absorbant cloth or paper. This material hardly even has to be low-lint because it never touches the glass. THEN, use a microfiber cloth to pick up the much smaller amount of water that remains on the glass part of the filter. Often the 2nd step isn't even necessary. In contrast, if you are dealing with serious amounts of rain or snow (my interest), and use the microfiber before first blowing off the excess water, you might bet one wiping out of each microfiber cloth because each will get instantly drenched.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Tom M.</p>

<p>Some lenses (particularly telephoto lenses) have deep lens hoods. If you have one put it on the lens. It will prevent most large drops from landing oo the lens unless you point the lens straight up. It however would not prevent mist from landing on the lens. I would also use a protective filter.</p>