selling artwork

<p>I am a beginning photographer. I don't have a tax id yet and all that good stuff for my business. I am wondering what I need to do to sell my artwork at art festivals. I know that I need property/model releases for permission to do so. My question is do I need some sort of a license to sell them at shows? Must I have my business established first before I do so?</p>

<p>I appreciate your feedback!<br>

Cherie</p>

<p>Check your State regulations but probably a Tax ID number at a minimum. Selling at crafts fairs sounds good, but after talking to a number of experienced "show sellers", its harder and more expensive than you might think. Entry fees can run $250 and up, you need a good pop-up tent ($750+), possibly liability insurance and the cost of having inventory to sell. I talked to one "first timer" who was at a very large well attended art show, he had some cool infra-red photos in hand made wood frames. He was a little pricey perhaps ($350+) for 16x20s framed but he only sold ONE in 3 days. So............let the seller beware!</p>

<p>Each of the 50 States has a different take on sales tax, what is a business, and there is no one answer to your question. Some art fesitvals require you to have liability insurance. Some states (Florida, for one) has a occupational license requirement for most (but not all) of the counties.</p>

<p>The state you are planning on doing business may have <strong>a web-site</strong>, and you could check there to see if any legal requirements are listed for you to start and-or do business as a photographer.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'll have to check MD's requirements. I know that this is a very low-key festival...the entry fee is only $30 for 3 days! I already have the tent, and I haven't ordered any inventory yet, because I didn't want to buy it if I couldn't sell it! :) I'm ok with starting off small...guess I have to start somewhere right? :) <br>

Thanks again so much!<br>

Cherie</p>

<p>Cherie,<br>

I don't wish to dissuade you from attempting this; but I see many pitfalls before you based on your post.<br>

I have done many art fairs the past; I now only do one a year as my pursuits have led me elsewhere in photography.</p>

<p>Here is some advice I hope you will heed:</p>

<p>Count the cost before venturing into this.</p>

<p><strong>1) Time</strong><br>

<strong>2) Energy</strong><br>

<strong>3) Money</strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>I know that this is a very low-key festival...the entry fee is only $30 for 3 days!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just because it is a low key festival; this is not a reason to "not worry" about mistakes you might make.<br>

People have long memories. If it is one of your goals to establish yourself as a photographer for future business, approach this as though your life depended on it. Bring only your top notch work and present it with splendor.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I already have the tent, and I haven't ordered any inventory yet, because I didn't want to buy it if I couldn't sell it! :) I'm ok with starting off small...guess I have to start somewhere right? :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>1st Advice</strong>: Go to other art festivals and see what you are up against.<br>

The education alone is worth far more than just jumping in. Talk to the exhibitors; get advice, ask them many questions. Most exhibitors are friendly folk.</p>

<p><strong>2nd Advice:</strong> Ask yourself "WHY" you want to do this.</p>

<p><strong>3rd Advice:</strong> A valuable skill is (SELLING). If you are not a outgoing individual who is comfortable interacting with the public, this is <strong>not</strong> for you. Too many photogs display their work and then just sit there as though they had original Ansel prints for sale. People skills are paramount in this particular atmosphere.</p>

<p>Below I'll list some basics concerning art fairs/festivals.</p>

<p><strong>Time:</strong> Getting properly prepared for a successful show requires a minimum of 3 months the first time.<br>

Notice I said a "successful" show. Many people feel they can simply frame some prints, hang 'em up and they will magically sell themselves. This is not how it works in reality. Those who adopt that work ethic usually are not present the next year.</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Money:</strong><br>

You must have inventory on hand. This is costly. Figure this out for yourself.<br>

Most art work at fairs & festivals is cash & carry..People want to take it home now.<br>

If possible, set up a merchant account so you can accept credit cards. Merchant accts are not cheap but the ease of using plastic will greatly enhance your sales opportunities.<br>

Some of your work will be rolled prints, some will be framed.<br>

The cost of properly displaying framed work is more than most realize until they've done this.</p>

<p><strong>Energy:</strong> These shows are physically demanding & draining. After my first show years ago, I swore I would never do one again. I was totally drained; partly due to not knowing how to do a show.</p>

<p>To reiterate, go back to my 1st piece of advice. I strenuously suggest you follow it before attempting any show.</p>

<p>One of the best things (if not the best) about the web is just seeing how people like you is so noble-minded to share their knowlegde to strangers. I´ve learnt a lot on the web thanks to people like you, and I´m beggining to be able to give it back to others.... It´s not only the attitude, it´s also the quality of the writing. Thanks.</p>

<p>Kevin gives good advice. I've exhibited at local shows for decades. It's a lot of work. The more preparation you can do for yourself, the better. I print, mount, mat, and frame all of my own photos. Having others do it would require unreasonable selling prices here in rural Missouri. Providing only 16x20 aluminum frames bought in bulk saves money and simplifies transportation. Photos are also offered mounted and matted, but unframed. I can swap photos in or out of frames as customers desire. Inexpensive 5x8 photos in 8.5x11 mats are also available for customers to put in inexpensive document frames.</p>

<p>It's good to have someone to help with setting up and taking down your display, and to watch your booth while you circulate among other venders. Show a sincere interest in potential buyers. You can learn much from them about their preferences. Great photographs might sell themselves, but really nice people can sell less impressive photos. Only offer quality work. A few poor pictures can degrade your entire exhibit. A professionsl display can make you look like a businesswoman, but only your photos can make you look like a photographer. Your $30 three day event will be mostly a learning experience. Consider your investment in this first show as a long term investment. You should have photos left over for the next show, and ideas for new images. If you decide against future exhibits, the leftovers can be given as presents to <strong>interested</strong> friends and relatives.</p>

<p>We do a few art fairs here in Ireland. Kevin's post is a very useful place to start, he highlight's pretty well all the common pitfalls / considerations.</p>

<p>A couple of others that I would throw into the ring...</p>

<p>Local sells - looking back at those images that have sold at fairs, and the trend has been to local scenes rather than more abstract ones, although maybe that's just be a tendency here.</p>

<p>Trying to second guess what will sell is a black art. Many a time I have produced more copies of certain images thinking they will be bankers, only to find I'm still lugging them around 12 months later whereas other 'throw away' shots have sold well. Be prepared to have some wastage in trying to establish the core sellers (by wastage - I mean be prepared to have £$ tied up in inventory that may not sell).</p>

<p>'Happy' sells - this is the most frustrating for me, it's not the images with the dramatic seas and overcast skies that seem to sell well, it's the ones where the sun's out.</p>

<p>Those images that don't sell, I carefully discount - ie. I don't mix these images at the same venues as others (it is amazing how 'cheap' bargains can drag the rest down).</p>

<p>Try and avoid the tendency to do lots of cheaper prints or cards. We did (and still do) this, it can be a false economy. The mark ups are smaller, and you have to shift far more to start covering costs, especially if you go overboard on quantity (we learnt that the hard way, throwing £$ at 100s of cards, that do sell, but not enough to warrant the hard work that went into them).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you decide against future exhibits, the leftovers can be given as presents to <strong>interested</strong> friends and relatives.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ha, think my friends and relatives have got sick of receiving my cards now, bar one or two.</p>

<p>Good luck,</p>

<p>Martin</p>

<p>Agreed with Kevin completely. I will add that you should treat this venture like planning and running any *business*. If you have a background running another business or have worked in the for profit world, you are at an advantage and should apply everything you have learned. Tax ID, license, etc. are but nuts and bolts in a much bigger scheme.</p>

<p>You may want to join and hang out here:<br>

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artshow_photo/</p>

<p>If you do, you will find this thread echoing many of Kevin's comments:<br>

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artshow_photo/message/40890</p>

<p>Cherie, you have already received some excellent advice.</p>

<p>You say that you are a beginning photographer. If that is the case, then I would urge you to slow down. I don't know what the rush is. It used to be that people learned and mastered the skills and craft of photography before they found their style and went into business trying to sell their work. Well, maybe not everyone, but i would recommend that you do so. It takes a lot of effort and time before one can reach that level. I believe that if you slow down, you won't be sorry.</p>

<p>I would also point out that sales at such shows don't just fall into people's laps. The public can determine quite easily if an exhibitor's work is amateurish. And the costs of preparing work for presentation and sale are high. One needs a lot of work to make a professional presentation and I don't know of any beginners who have an adequate portfolio to do so. Wait until you are ready. I think you will know when that is. </p>

<p>I might add that I speak from forty years of experience and I have done a lot of exhibiting and shows. </p>

<p>JMHO. Ben</p>