Mamiya 210 APO, quick responce please

terry_evans3

<p>Hello,<br>

I just bought a Mamiya 210 APO at the auction site. Got it today, and it is in beautiful condition. Except, it rattles. A decent amount, too. If I had to guess, it's coming from the back half of the lens. Has anyone heard of this problem? I have a short period to return it, and would really appreciate your help.<br>

Regards,<br>

Terry </p>

<p>After posting, I held a cleaning cloth against the front element, and it didn't rattle when I shook it. What could this be? I've never had a lens to make this much noise. Inless it's normal on the 210 APO, I am returning this thing. $600 is a lot of money. I would like to know what's wrong so I communicate this to the seller. <br>

Again, thanks. </p>

<p>Let's hope you bought from an honest eBay seller. Was the lens insured while in transit? If so you may wind up making an insurance claim if the seller asserts that the lens was in good condition prior to shipping. If you have any problems with the buyer you may need to file a complaint with eBay stating that the lens was not as described. Be prepared to get a camera/lens repair shop to examine the lens and give you a written evaluation of the condition of the lens and the cost to repair. I would do that prior to sending the lens back.</p>

<p>Document all your communication through the eBay messaging system so that they can see what the seller did to try and remedy the situation.<br>

Finally, if you paid through PayPal I would suggest that you read up on their Buyer Protection services.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. Can someone explain what causes a front element to be loose, and the effect it will have? <br />Graham, thanks for the advice on ebay claims. Most of my equipment comes from there, and this is my first problem. The seller has a 100% feedback, so I will see what happens.<br />Erie, thanks for the tip. Maybe I over paid, but other than the loose element, this thing looks new. <br />Regards,<br />Terry</p>

<p>The mechanics in the back of the lens will rattle if the shutter is not cocked. Is this the real cause?</p>

<p>If it is truly the front element:</p>

<p>I had a 210 APO that seemed to have a minor defect internally, I sent it to John at <a href="http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html">http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html</a> and the lens came back brand new. He said he performed no work, but it came back without the problem.</p>

<p>The way he handled my emails to him was topnotch. I have saved his business card and he is going to get my future business.</p>

<p>Others also highly recommend him.</p>

<p>Probably just the front ring that holds in the front element is loose. See if you can tighten the outermost spanner ring (presuming it uses a spanner ring), or the ring outboard of the front element. Likely that's all it is. Simple fix if so.</p>

<p>-Ed</p>