clark_king1

I have been offered a Mamiya RB 67 Pro SD body, with 65 mm and 127 mm

lenses, extension tubes no. 1 and 2, 2-120 film holders, polaroid

back, waist level finder, cds metered "smoke top?" finder, and

doskicil case. The seller is asking $1,250.00 for this. Is this a

fair price? The lenses and tubes look new, and the body only has

some minor rubbing/ minor scratches. I have put 3 rolls of 120

through it so far and except for user error in regards to exposure

the camera and lenses seem to work great. Really sharp prints.

So...what do you think, does it sound like a good deal? What should

I look for or ask about before buying this.

Thank you very much for your help.

Clark King

As I can tell the lenses themselves say "Mamiya-Sekor". How would I know if they were "c", or "kl" lenses? Looking at a B and H photo catalog I find the 65 mm and 127 mm under the section for the KL lenses.

Again though...how would I tell the difference?

By the way David how have you been!

Clark King

Clark, you sure are a moving target! [:-)

Shooting from the hip, I'd conservatively value the Pro S body/WL finder/120 back at about $450, each C lens at $300-$400, tubes at $150 each, extra Pro S 120 back at $150, Polaroid back at $75, CDS finder at $300, any decent case at $50-$100. That adds up to far more than the price you mentioned. Plus, you've tested it and it all works. Take it and run.

Even if you later decide it's not for you, you can definitely make money on it by selling it piecemeal on eBay.

There's not much to be wary of in RB67 systems; they're tank-rugged and rather simple, considering all the Rube Goldberg-esque activity that takes place when you press the release! As in all cameras, there may come a time when you will have to replace the foam seals in the backs, but those can be considered maintenance items that you can do yourself, inexpensively. Also, as with any other brand, you should check the lenses for signs of fungus, separation, or excessive dirt. Holding them up to the light won't do; shine a flashlight through them to reveal those nasties. I assume you have already checked the slow shutter speeds for consistency and reasonable accuracy. Even if you have to treat each lens to a CLA, you'll still have a fine deal.

I would also suggest that you replace the stock screen with a brighter one. Mine has a Brightscreen, and it is a large improvement over the standard focusing screen. They're a bit pricey new, but you should be able to get one on eBay without having to mortage the cat.

Seems like a pretty good price to me. I recently found a used Pro S with a 180mm non-C lens and 1 120 film holder and it was about $2200 canadian -- about $1400US. The price on your system beats the pants of of that by a pretty wide margin! Considering the new value of one of these babies it seems like a good deal.

Things to look out for:

- Check the light seals in on the rotating adapter and the film magazine. After enough time the seals in the Pro S turn to mush. Replacing them will cost you (I was quoted about $100US from one place).

- check to make sure you're getting Pro S film holders (they'll say Pro S on them). The original film holders will work but they don't support double exposure prevention and they're a little more difficult to deal with.

Anyway.. at that price I'd certainly take it.

Have fun.

Berj

This sounds like a good deal, in general some folks never get used to the system of interlocks on the Mamiya, force/break the camera, or the camera needs a CLA, or they bought somebody else's dog.

I talked to one of the techs at the Mamiya shop, they're seeing a lot of gear from purchases on e-bay, if the est. is high, the gear is simply sold to someone else and so on.

Old Mamiyas properly maintained lasts pretty much will last forever, shutter rebuilds on your lenses, repairs/cla, mag rebuilds, you could spend close to a $1000.00 on this camera, that would be a high estimate, but it's possible.

Rather than alarm you, this is to say that if it were me, I would exact some sort of written warranty from him against future repair or a reasonable amount of time, if it is good stuff, and the seller is reasonable and honest and not hiding something, you will get some concession, if not, I'd walk, not because of the asking price, but because of the addition cash you will spend if this isn't on the 'up and up'.

Consider this, suppose you end up spending $500 a CLA/repairs for this outfit, that brings you to $1750.00, that's a brand new SD, a 120 mag, and a 127mm lens(the value pack) and a warranty from the folks who bring their stuff back from Japan. I've bought an SD for $795.00 and a Prism II for $395.00, from one of these folks after checking out his reputation, and it was a great deal.

This deal cost what he/she is asking now, plus everything else you will ever spend on the gear, that's the real price.

• 3 months later...