Whats the difference?

c_k17

<p>I've been noticing that Canon cameras tend to look the same, though they differ in price.<br>

For example, what are some major differences between a Canon 5D and a Canon Xsi camera? aren't they the same thing in the end?<br>

The specs just differ in where different vocabulary is used, though I'd like to particularly understand what makes them different aside from the lets say megapixel difference which are evident facts. Is the 5D intentionally suppost to take better photos because its more expensive?<br>

Aside from the lens prices, the 5D body is more expensive than the Xsi body.</p>

<p>There is significant differences between the 5D and the Xsi as the links that Leslie provided will explain!<br>

And, . . . yes, they are just a tool. What's behind the camera and lens makes the photograph!</p>

<p>After you read the information provided in the links that Leslie has provided, then if you have some specific questions, then ask.</p>

<p>Here is a overly simplistic view comparing say the Canon 5D (1st gen) verse the old Canon 450D Xsi. On the surface both are 12.5 Mpixel camera (aka: 3.5 liter V6). But if you open the hood and lift up the car, it doesn't need long to find that things are different.</p>

<p>#1 5D pixel are higher in quality both in ISO noise and Anti-Alias filter . This is like turbo charge/smooth bore injection verse a 2 barrel carb.</p>

<p>#2 5D has a full frame sensor. This can yield better focus depth control (if you need it) and a good reason to buy more expensive lens. This is like a set of 19 inches low profile wheels verse 13".</p>

<p>#3 5D AF focus is one class better then the rebel. Independent double wishbone suspension verse 4 studs.</p>

<p>#4 Last but not least 5D has magnesium body verse plastic on metal frame. Full leather Ricardo seat verse cloth bucket.</p>

<p>BTW: Both get you from point A to point B at the same legal speed limit. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Canon web site has a comparison tool for their DSLRs. That will give you a detailed list of the differences. For the most part, they are the same. The key differences are more pixels, full frame sensor, one stop faster shutter speed and slightly higher speed in continuous shooting mode. Not listed is the 5D is intended for pros and has a higher duty cycle, i.e. you can take more photos before anything wears out. The 5D is also made more rugged as pros often shoot in adverse situations. If you are documenting arctic oil drilling it does not matter that it is -50F.</p>

<p>The bottom line is the higher price of the 5D will buy you nothing that the XSi will not provide at a lower price unless you intend to go pro and shoot in the arctic. :-) The real key difference is because the 5D is full frame, it will not be able to use the lenses intended for the APS size sensors of the XSi. OTOH the XSi will be able to use both full frame and APS frame lenses. You get a much larger selection of lenses to chose from with the XSi.</p>

<p>Danny</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"The specs just differ in where different vocabulary is used"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is probably more true across different manufacturers, where one company's "segmented" metering is another company's "matrix". Or IS is to Canon as VR is to Nikon etc. Within a given manufacturer however, usually the 'vocabulary' is more consistent. I'd say, wherever you see <em>any</em> difference it is worth looking into deeper to see what the actual difference is. The cameras <em>look the same</em> from a <em>superficial </em>level -- both have viewfinders, rear LCD's, EF-compatible lens mounts, autofocus, shutters, lightmeters, etc. -- but the devil is in the details, as they say. </p>

<p>To the more trained eye, these cameras share some common Canon features and conventions but are hugely different. In addition to the obviously different format/sensor size (this is the huge difference that largely accounts for the huge price and performance difference), 5D has no built-in flash, has both front-and-rear e-dials, a big pentaprism viewfinder, a considerably stouter build, better shutter (1/8000 vs. 1/4000 max, CF vs. SD flash memory card format. Some will find the larger size of the 5D considerably more comfortable as long as they don't mind the extra weight.</p>

<p>I appreciate everyone's input, though Danny's response cleared up what I wanted to know. Should I buy a 5D? maybe, not unless I'm going to shoot pro photos in the arctic, (as an example when it comes to one of the intended uses of a 5D camera) Will the Xsi produce similar results without spending more? well, maybe, if I use the proper lens, with the proper settings. To make a long story short, I don't need a 5D, an Xsi will do fine. I feel much better, and I didn't have to read a whole book on something so simple. Thanks. =)</p>