Suggestions.. wide to mid range lens!

daniel_horande

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>My 18-70 mm 3.5-4.5G is broken. I bought it second hand on $150, i dont think ill send it to repair, could me more than that!...<br>

So, im looking for something Similar, could be nikon or sigma ( cause of the price), but i dont really know a lot about lenses. I was looking the 24-70 nikon, but: over $1600 and since i have a kid, is too much money to spend on one lens for now:-(. Id like to hear some suggestions, i dond mind buying second hand lenses if they are in good conditions, and a fast lens would be great. I sawe the Sigma 24-70 Macro 2.8, but dont know anythibng about it.</p>

<p>I have a Nikon D200, and probably could get a Nikon D300s soon.</p>

<p>Thanks for any recomendation!</p>

<p>Daniel</p>

<p>I have a friend who has a very similar situation. He bought a Tamron 17-50 VC f2.8 last year. Really good lens for the price range. I missed it (bought a 18-55 way before it was launched 4 yrs ago). I recommend the Tamron if you're on a budget.<br>

Remember to test it on your camera, to make sure you have a good copy. There are customers who complain about focusing issues related on this lens. Mostly are contact pin needs cleaning.</p>

<p>the new version sigma 17-70mm will have a similar behavior as the 18-70mm. but if you're going to spend for that one, might as well swing for an f/2.8 lens. you can look at the tamron 17-50mm or the sigma 18-50mm. only thing you lose is 20mm. to me the constant f/2.8 is a better deal. but it's all up to you.</p>

<p>and if you're on a budget, how about another used 18-70mm?</p>

<p>Did you like the 18-70? I love mine. Get another one! For kid shooting however, you can't beat the 18-200 or even better, the 16-85. I find myself ALL over that range with my kid shooting with the 18-200, and I never seem to miss the shot for a lens change.</p>