Switching from D300 to D700?

moi1

<p>Well I used FX, and I still like DX. I have a couple FX Nikon cameras here, they are the F100 and the F3HP, and both of them have viewfinders and handling that no Nikon digital SLR will ever have anytime soon the way things look. I simply prefer the features of the D300 over the features of the D700, that's all. When they improve the shortcomings of the D700 in a future model, I'll consider getting one. Until then, the D300 is the best for me.</p>

<p><em> if you buy this body, it deserves the new lenses with the best coatings - expensive and heavy!</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Having used the D3 since Jan 08 (it has the same imaging components as the D700) and tested with approximately 50 lenses so far, can't really agree with your assessment. I think limiting to using only post-2007 FX lenses would be very crippling (although I own many of the latest lenses I couldn't make do with just them). For example, while the 70-200 II is excellent for many types of photography I can't bring myself to like images of people subjects made with it (after six months of trying to make it work for me). I much prefer the rendering of the "old" 85/1.4D and 135/2 DC for people subjects, on this camera. And I have a few older manual focus lenses too that work very nicely and yield more forgiving contrast on people subjects than the very high contrast latest offerings. You can of course make unwanted details go away in post-processing but you can't bring shadows that are too deep out to light. There is much subtlety to lens design and newer is not always better. (On the other hand I find the 24/1.4 and 50/1.4 latest design to be excellent.)</p>

<p>To help with working manual focus lenses with the D700, try a Katz Eye screen.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>my initial observation is that if you buy this body, it deserves the new lenses with the best coatings - expensive and heavy!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This may well be perfectly correct - I have no doubt that the 24-70 AF-S G has better microcontrast, resolution, edge sharpness than the (consumer) 28-105 AF-D IF. But, at least here in the UK, the 24-70 is almost the same price as a D700 body, so it's "horses for courses". I bought the D700 specifically so that I <em>wouldn't </em>have to change my lenses and, never having had access to the 24-70, I don't feel particularly disadvantaged. For me, the extra size, weight and cost cannot be justified for the relatively small increase in IQ, especially as in 99%+ of cases the limiting factor in my image-making is <em>me</em>.</p>

<p>As it happens, I did end up upgrading one lens (70-300 ED), but the total cost was still less than moving to a DX body and substituting all my existing lenses. I've ended up with a superb FX body on which I can use all my other lenses (including wide-angle), which can then be upgraded when I choose - and can afford.</p>

<p>Ilkka, agreed, the newer 50 1.4G is superb - I bought one at Christmas and just love it!</p>

<p>If I had to have only one camera it would be the D700 but fortunately that is not the case. For overall useability, I personally have to give the edge to the full frame for the high iso and dynamic range capability. I was going to sell my D300 but never got around to it and glad I didn't. My strategy of early-on buying only lenses that were compatible with full-frame has proved to be very wise. And that is what I would always recommend to someone starting to put a kit together. Focus more on the glass (pun intended) as the components that will be the core of the kit as that is how it works out.</p>

<p>Keith, the D700 does not have higher dynamic range than the D300, according to tests at dpreview.com. Thought this was important to point out. The D700 dynamic range at ISO 200 is 7.8 EV, while the D300 at ISO 200 is 8.8 EV. D300 dynamic range goes up to 9.2 EV at ISO 400-800, while the D700 maxes out at 7.9 EV.</p>

<p>Thanks to you all for your insights! I will start selling my DX lenses, buy some good glass and wait for Nikon's new model whenever that comes out and see ....<br>

Happy "Bastille day" to you all!!!</p>