Filter holder on a MF folder?

<p>I have recently become a proud owner of a couple of MF folding camera's (still trying to decide which one I like the best, might keep a couple :-) and mostly they have no filter thread on the lens. With them being front cell focusing I can see that a cokin filter holder might be a bit awkward, but I wondered if anyone has managed to get filters onto any of these (prefer cokin square style as I have the filters already!</p>

<p>My folders include an early Voigtlander Bessa, an Ensign 16-20 Selfix and an Ensign Autorange 220. The 220 does have a thread and moves the whole lens board to focus - not sure of the size though, the other two are push fit only.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Craig.</p>

<p>Matt, where did you find such a ring? is there something that can be adjusted to fit differing lens diameters?</p>

<p>Steve, I came across those, not sure if it'll reach the front, seen any dimensions anywhere? Wonder what size the magnetic fixings come in - might be a natty way around the problem!</p>

<p>Craig, google 'series push on adapter rings' and look at the second entry. There is a good explanation on that site of what they are and how they work. Unfortunately, push on adapter rings are no longer made so it's a 'looking through the photo junk boxes at shows and flea markets' shopping method if you need one. Ditto for finding series filters to fit the adapters. Take your camera with you to determine the correct fit if you do look around for these series adapters.</p>

<p>Craig. Check the outside diameter of the lens cells with no thread. You can get a matching slip on to series VI adapter on the bay from a seller that goes by the name of Macintoshcat. You can get all kinds of series VI filters for a song, and the adapter should come with a packing ring. You can also use a series VI lens hood as a packing ring as that is how these filters work. I use a 32mm to series VI adapter on my Zeiss Ikonta and my Yashica A, and a 39.5mm slip on adapter on my Moskva 2. With front cell focusing, your only possible concern would involve trying to use a polarizing filter.</p>

<p>Packing ring? You mean retaining ring. </p>

<p>Yes, the Wratten Series filters and rings are what everyone used back then. Usually the 31.5mm push on (Series 6) fit the folding cameras. Sometimes the next size up (38mm). Filters available as Series 6. Pick a color. Same for the lens hoods. Hey, look for a Distar or Telek to add a "wide angle" or "telephoto" on your folder. </p>

<p>The common thing to do was use Kodak Combination Lens Attachments. There were adapter rings that slipped around the outside of different sized lens barrels, and included a retaining ring to hold in a "Series" sized filter.<br>

Kodak made slip-on Series V adapter rings to fit around the barrels of lenses in these sizes: 3/4" (19mm), 13/16" (20.5mm), 7/8" (22mm), 15/16" (23.5mm), 1" (25.5mm), 1-1/32" (26mm), 1-1/16" (27mm), 1-1/8" (28.5mm), and 1-3/16" (30mm).<br>

Kodak made slip-on Series VI adapter rings to fit around the barrels of lenses in these sizes: 1-1/4" (31.5mm), 1-5/16" (33mm), 1-3/8" (35mm), 1-13/32" (35.5mm), 1-7/16" (36.5mm), 1-15/32" (37mm), 1-1/2" (38mm), 1-9/16" (39.5mm), 1-5/8" (41mm), and 1-21/32 (42mm).<br>

There were also Series VII and IX adapters, but they are for rather large (view camera) lenses, and are uncommon.<br>

The prongs on the back are adjustable over at least half a millimeter larger or smaller.<br>

They show up pretty commonly on eBay.<br>

There are also lens hoods that screw in in place of the retaining ring.<br>

The Kodak Series filters are very common, little demand. Dyed gelatin glued between glass. Tiffen also made lots of them, older ones are glued gelatin, newer ones are dyed glass, even coated!</p>

<p>Series adapters are the way to go for sure. Adapter and filter searches under Tiffen, Ednalite, Walz and Kodak should provide tons of examples for next to nothing. I watched an auction lately with dozens of series filters. I think it might still be available.</p>