Photographers, a good way of giving back.

<p>I have been a member of NILMDTS, (Now I lay me down to sleep), organization for about 8 months. Its a group of photographers and imaging people who volunteer their time, taking photos of children who are stillborn, or who are about to die, before their parents can get quality photos of them. Photographers are called usually by the hospital , a nurse or a social worker, who knows of parents who would like professional photos of their child. In most cases, I have been called to shoot the photos before the child dies, so that the parents can have a true remembrance of their child was like, but it can also be after the child dies. </p>

<p>It was started by 2 women in Colorado to help people who need the right kind of photographer, at the right time. The sessions take only a few minutes and although it might be hard on you as a photographer , it makes all the difference to the people who need the service. Photogaphers volunteer their services, the people are charged nothing. The photographer sends the family a DVD of about 15 images within a week or so,but I usually get them out to the people the next day. You might also have to email them a photo for a funeral service, but that takes only a few minutes. </p>

<p>The photos are converted into B&W photos and retouched, so even if you are not a photographer who can shoot these photos, you might have the processing and Photoshop skills to help out. You must be a photographer with good enough photo skills to do a professional job, and many people here at PN are certainly qualified. You will need to submit photos or have a place where they can be seen by the national organization. </p>

<p>Here is the link to the site, they have photographers in every state and most large cities ,and its even going international, but they always need more help. Its a very rewarding way to give back. </p>

<p>http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/</p>

<p>Not to seem crude, but for a *in-the-business-for-<strong>large</strong>-profit* hospital to seek volunteer photographers is a bit much. Will the hospital offer <em>volunteer medical care</em> for the volunteer photographer?</p>

<p>Just wondering....</p>

<p>Jerry,<br>

I do not know where you are located, but remember that Social Security and insurance companies have set limits as to what they will pay toward hospital care, often leaving huge balances to people who simply do not have the means to pay, forcing the hospital to write off those balances. Let's not get into a discussion over the relative cost of health care, as it is pointless. Volunteerism is just one of the many attributes that make this a great country. I speak as a past president of a regional photographic association, past and current board member for the Chamber of Commerce, former Boy Scout leader, and many others. At the High School Awards Assembly for the past 8 years I have been proud to award to deserving students, a monetary grant toward their higher education paid out of my studio's bank account and I feel darn proud to do it. <br>

It is truly amazing that when you volunteer, the rewards are incredible.<br>

Warmest regards,<br>

David R. Lewis</p>

<p>I am not affiliated with the area NILMDTS, but I have done portraits in these situations. My nephew is the most relevant. He passed away at 5 months old, but we did portraits in the hospital because we did not know how long he would be with us. It is very emotional, especially if you know the people involved, but it is very rewarding. </p>

<p>NILMDTS has extensive training videos, covering how to shoot the session as quickly as possible, what shots to get, how to ask the new parents to do certain things, etc. They also offer a member-photographers forum online and offer emotional advice as well. </p>

<p>My personal equipment doesn't allow me to offer the service, but once I upgrade personally, I will be volunteering. It is well worth looking into as it offers something priceless to families overwhelmed with grief.</p>

<p>I'm all for volunteering. I put in two full days pulling flood damaged debris out of two family homes during the June 9th New Braunfels, Texas flood just driving around and offering my help as well as put in about 32 hours of flood repair and forestry maintenance for our local park all done in hot sweltering,<br /> humid Texas heat.</p>

<p>I also believe volunteerism must be shared all the way up the socioeconomic ladder, so I have to wonder if a hospital can afford a grief counselor as was offered to me and my family when my father was killed in a car wreck, the hospital administrative folks should offer something to photographers,<br>

who by their numbers barely make enough to live on as it is.</p>

<p>Heck, I didn't see one administrative type lend a hand in the all the days I worked helping folks<br>

in my local town.</p>

<p>Why don't we just get the homeless to pitch in during the photo session? They could hold the reflectors<br>

for excellent fill lighting.</p>

<p>Will,<br /> It's crass because it immediately goes looking for some negative angle and attempts to paint someone as a bad guy. I explained it in my first post.<br /> People try to do something selfless, and suddenly it's about the big bad greedy hospital. Sheesh. No one is making a profit. It's not about the hospital at all, except that they sometimes place a phone call to a volunteer organization and make room for it to happen.<br /> It is about giving some comfort to those who are enduring anguish and grief. Yet someone could not resist interjecting crass, useless and baseless comments. <br /> I used the word crass because it was a mild word. "Not to seem crude," he said. It certainly was that and more. It was crude and insensitive and <em>inaccurate</em>. Why do some people think it's their role to inject negativity into any situation where someone is trying to do good, and attempt to come up with an angle in which somebody is getting something for nothing? It says much more about them than whoever they're criticizing.<br>

<br /> I regard Jerry's post as little more than trolling.</p>

<p>Thank you to all who through the goodness of their heart volunteer to help others. As long as people do for others without need for anything in return there will be hope.</p>

<p>Jeff, this is a bit of a morbid and sad situation in general. It's heart wrenching that these children are going to die and all that's wanted is a "pro" quality shot of them by a pro photographer before they go. That's some pretty weighty stuff to handle emotionally especially for the parents as it must be to a degree for the photographer.</p>

<p>It's just we all want to feel <strong>everyone</strong> as a society has some skin in the game on this type of sad occasion. I see Jerry's as well as my own post as an expression of anger that this isn't always so.</p>

<p>"...often leaving huge balances to people who simply do not have the means to pay, forcing the hospital to write off those balances."</p>

<p>It is called a income-tax write off. T<em>he money lost</em> goes against the money earned, usually creating a net reduction in the amount of corporate income tax paid by the hospital. At least that is what I learned in Accounting I years ago....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>OP's post brings up a few issues worth discussing.</p>

<p>I'm all for offering my photography service and work pro bono for a worthy course. However, it comes with certain criterias:</p>

<p>1. I must either know the "worthy course" intimately, or it must be transparent about its staff and financial statements.</p>

<p>2. There must be stated and acceptable terms of use for my donated service and/or work.</p>

<p>3. Credit must be given and published for my donated service and/or work.</p>

<p>NILMDTS' site seems to try hard in conveying their good intent and transparency. Yet, there is much room for improvement, for their own benefit as well as for the photographers.</p>

<p>1. Transparency. Staff's names and photos are published, but without a single word of bio. Names and smiling faces tell us nothing about their qulafications for their positions. An annual report is published with some general financial information, but without any actual figures of income and expenditure, nor a breakdown of the sources of their income and how it is spent. In particular, how much do they collect from the photographers' annual membership fee of $35, and what percentage of the income does that amount to. [This is the first time I heard of PAYING IN CASH to volunteer!]</p>

<p>2. Terms of use. I found no mention of terms of use at the site. Many non-profits show no respect for photographers' work.<br>

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36847</p>

<p>3. Credits. I cannot even find a listing of the contributing photographers at the site. Makes me wonder if credits are given at all to the photographers.</p>

<p>Perhaps the OP can bring these to NILMDTS' attention.</p>

<p>I will also add that the site has a "Parent and Family Forum", but none for the photographers. In summary, the NILMDTS seem to have forgotten that the contributing photographers are the key enablers of their good intent, and have failed to give them their deserved respect and gratitude.</p>

<p>As someone who lost their baby before photos were viable (at 13 weeks) then I think this service is to be applauded. Yes, in an ideal world, hospitals who make that much money should provide it free of charge, but if that's not going to happen, so why should people who do it out of the goodness of their hearts be criticised? Well done Michael and from all Mothers everywhere who've had the same situation, thank you.</p>

<p>Note that a $25 annual contribution is required FROM each photographer to participate in this program. Isn't that backwards?</p>

<p>I applaud any photographer with the courage to enter into such a stressful situation. Merely taking on this sort of work is a huge, compassionate contribution in and of itself, pay or no pay. Maybe contributions should be suggested to those families who can afford to contribute. Contributions would be to offset the photographers' enormous equipment expenses, not to mention time taken away from paid work. Of course no contributions would be suggested to families of meager economic means.</p>

<p>Not mentioned here is the stipulation that the photographer must be "good enough." When a photographer (ANY photographer) steps forward and generously offers his or her time towards this effort, I think there's something a bit unsettling about requiring that photographer to meet certain quality standards. Something about gift horses...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Note that a $25 annual contribution is required FROM each photographer to participate in this program. Isn't that backwards?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nice catch, Sarah. Didn't know that was part of the deal.</p>

<p>Maybe they're referring to paying a fee to become a site member similar to Photo.net's. </p>

<p>No, a fee required of photographers to participate in the program. No pay, no photograph.</p>

<p>And then you have to be evaluated for your worthiness. You will be evaluated by experts who, among other things, will be evaluating your proper use of on-camera flash. We're talking about on-location studio quality work here. ON-CAMERA flash? There IS no proper use of on-camera flash in studio work. These are the folks who are going to judge whether we're worthy of doing the work of their organization?</p>

<p>Sorry, but this is all a bit belittling to the photographers.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You will be evaluated by experts who, among other things, will be evaluating your proper use of on-camera flash.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then have the experts take the shots. Heck, I'll lend them my DSLR. That way they don't have to spend a dime. </p>

<p>Belittling is putting it mildly.</p>

<p>I can't find a better word to fit because my brain hurts just processing the whole concept so you'll have to excuse me while I go cash this check from Nigerians in Africa who want to give me some of their money.</p>

<p>Wow, this is one twisted thread...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I will also add that the site has a "Parent and Family Forum", but none for the photographers."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The money you pay to member of the organization goes to provide you access to the private forums, which include forums on technique, grief, tips, critique, etc., which is directed to, and only available to, the photographers. The money also provides access to regional classes, training videos, training booklets, etc. </p>

<p>In regards to on-camera flash... tight quarters in the infant intensive care unit where everything must be sterilized and you have 10 minutes and 5 feet to work in don't often allow for the soft-box we would all prefer. Any decent photographer can grab a softbox and take great pictures if they have time and space. Take both of those away and a lot of photographers fail. Evaluating use of "on camera flash" weeds out photographers who are stuck in their one-way-to-shoot world and allows room for only the photographers who can take a minimal set of equipment and make it work beautifully in a high-stress, often tiny, environment. I know of a few notable photographers who make beautiful work manipulating their on camera flash (not on a bracket, on camera). </p>

<p>There is a lot of judgment being passed around this thread when the original intent was only to promote an organization that gives a service to people who need it. </p>

<p>This ain't Facebook, Jen.</p>

<p>There are lots of opinions and points of view that are thought out and meaningful here at Photo.net. That's why I hang out here. Otherwise all that's left is emails from my former high school classmates notifying me to join in the Facebook discussion on one of our mate's new born goats. </p>

<p>Do you want or expect responses like this?...</p>

<p>"That's great idea. Count me in".</p>

<p>"Those poor children. I can't wait to start photographing them".</p>

<p>"God is good. Let's sing <em>Kumbaya </em>one and all as we anticipate the chance to lend our services."</p>

<p>Please tell me what you expect to be said in this thread. I'm running out of ideas.</p>

<p>Damn it! Got another email on another newborn goat. It's just a frickin' goat? Get over it, will ya'?!</p>

<p>Tim, at which point did I say I wanted interaction similar to facebook? Did I imply that this was a cushy topic where people couldn't disagree? No. I only addressed the errors that other people posted and explained how the methods of the organization could be interpreted differently (and more accurately, especially after having spoke directly with the organization). </p>

<p>It seems like this thread turned into a "don't volunteer with these greedy people" "they are just trying to screw the photographers" thread. The organization is a solid non-profit, and I support the work they provide. My intention in posting was to bring that side of this discussion to the table. Apparently you expect me to break out into song instead of trying to provide facts and reliable information. I truly don't believe anything I said in either of my posts qualifies as "newborn goat" material.</p>

<p>You ask what I would like to see in this thread? How about instead of comparing a legitimate non-profit to Nigerian check-cashing scams you ask for clarification on a process you apparently do not understand. The evaluation is to keep out a kind-hearted but under-educated photographer from shooting a very important session on location and not being able to provide professional results. I believe it is a very important part of the organization. Anyone with a point and shoot who calls themselves a photographer can sign up, but unless they can deliver professional results and have the body of work that supports their claim as a professional, they will be rejected. Risking this type of session's outcome by recommending an unqualified photographer is irresponsible and the evaluation process eliminates that risks (or at least minimizes it).</p>

<p>Please feel free to ask if you need clarification on any other aspect of the organization. If I do not know the answer, I will be happy to research it or contact the organization directly. Until then, enjoy your new found Nigerian wealth and newborn goat pictures.</p>

<p> </p>