Nikon SB-800 main commander controling other flashes problem, in CLS mode.

mirceaciuca

<p>Hi</p>

<p>I have an Nikon D90 and a Nikon SB800. And two SB600. And I work in manual mode, with CLS.</p>

<p>My SB800 is on D90, because I need iso compensation and main commander (in manual mode) for this two SB600.<br>

I want to sell this two SB600 because I need 4 flashes and I don't have so much money to buy another 2 SB600.<br>

1. First question is what to buy<br>

- 4 Vivitar 285HV and Cactus V4 (1 T + 4 R) - new<br>

or<br>

- used Nikon flashes from SB-2X series (Sb24,Sb26,Sb28) and work with them in CLS mode.<br>

2. The second question is how can I use Sb800 as a main commander on the camera and control the other 4 Nikon flashes in CLS, if it's possible, in this mode.<br>

I read about SB-26 is the only one cheaper flash (80GPB on ebay) which has a optical slave. Can I control the SB-26 (in manual mode) with SB-800 from the camera, in CLS mode, or other flashes like SB-24,SB-28?<br>

I would like to work in manual mode with all flashes, including SB800 from the camera.</p>

<p>I have a ttl 3 pin cable and a sc-17 cable, but I work with flashes outdoor, at 3-7m distance, between me (with camera and SB800) and other flashes.<br>

3. Just for my info: batteries are drained faster in ttl mode or in manual mode? Or doesn't matter and is the same thing?</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>No, none of the other flashes you mention will work with CLS. Only the SB-600, 800, and 900.<br /><br />Batteries might be used up a bit faster in TTL mode than manual ... with TTL, you have more pre-exposure metering pulses. But the main factor is how much power you're asking the flash units to produce. If your manual settings are the same as the output power that the iTTL system picks, then it won't make much of a difference. But iTTL tends to vary the power levels a lot, based on changes in the scene metering (such as a subject turning their head, or you changing your composition and involving less or moreof (for example) a bride's white dress in the frame.</p>

<p>You need 4 flashes?, and seems that you already have 4 flashes:<br>

1, built-in pop up flash - that that I believe is a CLS commander on D90.<br>

2. SB800 - as remote CLS<br>

3. SB600 - as remote CLS<br>

4. another SB600 - as remote CLS.<br>

If you are not satisfied with what you have? try to use some reflective panels or surfaces, or bounce flash light, and for this the CLS automation would help. You could possibly discover that more flashes would not improve your lighting?</p>

<p>Since you are concerned with battery usage, the flashes you have are not the best for all day studio shooting, and may require frequent battery replacement. There are good external battery packs for SB800/900, but not for SB600.</p>

<p>Since you say: "I work in manual mode, with CLS.", then you delegate the CLS to just triggering remotes, and do not take advantage of the CLS system capabilities.</p>

<p>For static studio work, where once you determine exposure and ratios, you can shoot the same all day long, and perhaps AC powered studio flashes and a flash meter would be a better solution.</p>