Nadine's recoomendation-mastering canon eos flash photography

paul_serafini1

<p>Hi everyone. A few weeks ago, I posted a question here about Canon flash, and one response was from Nadine, who recommended reading "mastering canon flash photography". I took this advice and the book arrived from amazon yesterday. I've only read about 40-50 pages so far, but I can already say that this is easily the most informative and understandable book I've ever read on this subject. Highly recommended.</p>

<p>Thanks for the great rec. Nadine!</p>

<p>I'll have to look that one up. I'm afraid I can give only a tepid endorsement at best to the one I have:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thomas, J. Dennis<br>

2007 <em>Canon® Speedlite System: Digital Field Guide</em>. Wiley.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's not a bad book, but not that great either.</p>

<p>I have noticed that Nadine seems to know a little something about Flash, also: and she generously posts much of her knowledge and experience here and elsewhere, answering many questions.<br>

Thank you also, Nadine.<br>

<p>WW</p>

<br>

PS: Happy 4th July, to all my USA colleagues.</p>

<p>I also may look into buying this book, I have recently purchased the 3 book set from Scott Kelby on Digital Photography, I'm mid way thru the 3rd book and so far have not learned to much I didn't already know. (12 years of goofing around will teach you something)<br>

In Mr. Kelby's 3rd book, he recommends another book by famous magazine photog Joe McNally entitled "The Moment It Clicks" ( ISBN 978-0-321-54408-7 if you are interested) This one is full of ideas and information, very simply wrote but seems to exclude some technical info on camera equip. used, settings, method in which shot was set up, but none the less excellent information inside.<br>

My shooting partner shoots Nikon and constantly flaunts how the Nikon CLS system is able to sync upwards of 1/1000th, the only info in the Canon speedlite books I've been able to find on high speed sync is 1/250th. . . I can't understand why this is so, Is the Nikon CLS system that far ahead of Canon's? Or will the Canon's speedlite's sync faster than 1/250th in certain settings?</p>

<p>Nk, thanks for a great book. I am 100% self-taught as a photographer, and as such, I read many books on a variety of related topics. I am frequently VERY frustrated with authors who may be subject matter experts, but who clearly have major issues with understanding the adult learner. There are several things you do in your book that I wish other authors would learn to do:</p>

<p>1. Use consistent terminology.<br>

2. Explain key terms and concepts at the outset, and explain why they will be important.<br>

3. Explain decision making trade-offs..for example, when discussing camera or flash settings, and choosing between setting A and B, explain when each choice may be advantageous, and what the trade offs and consequences might be. Use examples.<br>

4. Be clear about when you are offering facts or opinions.</p>

<p>Thanks again NK!</p>