Need your help with HP B8850

<p>I am running CS3 on a 3.07 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GM 800 Mhz ram Imac. Calibrated with Spyder 3Pro. I have a HP B8850 and can not get acceptable prints. For comparison, an old HP 7960 does a much better job. Therefore I am confidant that my color managed work flow is not the reason. I was hoping that the 8850 would give more professional looking (and larger) prints than the 7960. <br>

When I choose "let printer manage color" in print box, prints are just "OK", but seem to lack the punch (especially the reds/oranges) that show in the soft proof. When I choose "let photoshop manage colors" the program reminds me to "let printer manage colors in printer dialog box" but where <em>is</em> it? I can not find the "dialog box" or anyplace to disable the printer managing colors. Prints with "photoshop manages color" are terrible, with a distinct green cast and very flat. I'm hoping that if I can turn off the double management I will be able to use the 8850. <br>

Thanks in advance for your help.... </p>

<blockquote>

<p>but where <em>is</em> it? I can not find the "dialog box" or anyplace to disable the printer managing colors.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In Photoshop: File > Print > Page Setup. Then your HP printer settings dialog will open. Go to the Color tab and select "Application Managed Colors" from the Color Management dropdown list. Make sure you also selected the correct paper type. This information is all in your owner's manual.</p>

<p>http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01373642.pdf</p>

<p>I don't use an HP printer, but that screen shot of the printer settings dialog appears too simple for a full color printer. In the pdf manual, in the provided link, under the Color management chapter, is this sentence: <em>"If you install Adobe Photoshop after you install the printer software, you can then install the HP Photosmart Pro print plug-in separately</em>."(pg. 19) Which makes me believe the print plug-in currently installed is not the "Pro" version. Is it possible this is your case?</p>

<p>I just reinstalled the software and HP Photosmart Pro will not install in CS3. From the manual: <br>

<em><strong>Attention Adobe Photoshop CS3 users</strong>: The HP Photosmart Pro print plug-in is not supported in Photoshop CS3. </em><br>

<em>HP and Adobe have improved the print workflow built into Photoshop CS3.</em><br>

I agree that it looks too "simple" for a fully managed color printer. Any ideas?</p>

<p>Yeah-- the print plug-in was for CS2 and older, not CS3.</p>

<p>And... I didn't realize you were on a Mac. This quote is from a review usig PS CS3 on a Mac:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If Photoshop managed color is chosen in the Print dialog, the print driver will automatically select Application Managed and prevent you from performing double color management.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So your task is to make sure you're using the right paper/ICC profile combination. I can see in your screen shot, you have a color space chosen in the Printer Profile box, instead of a paper profile. That's your problem.<br /> It looks like with your old 7960, you must have been allowing the printer to control the color management.</p>

<p>Also... It looks like your sending a ProPhoto tagged file to the printer. You may have some color shifts or color clipping.</p>

<p>I'm using HP Advanced Photo Glossy, HP inks and that is what I've chosen in the "Printer Profile". Color has improved somewhat, but is still "flat" and "lighter" compared with the proof colors on the monitor (which has been calibrated). </p>

<p>Karen-- Are you softproofing to the same ICC profile as set in Photoshop's print dialog? Have you tried using a different rendering intent? Perceptual instead of Relative? Have you tried converting the file to a smaller color space (Adobe RGB) before sending it to the printer?</p>