Mini Trekker AW too small for a D3

shineofleo

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>Now I am using Lowepro Mini Trekker AW which was perfectly fine for D200 and some lens. Since I upgraded to D3 now, I find that this bag is too small for D3 body. To be exact, it still can hold lots of stuff, but D3 is too tall so the bag seems not 'deep' enough for this big guy. Yes I can still zip the bag up but the top of D3 (or side because it is a integrated grip style) always stick out.</p>

<p>Anyone can suggest some proper bag (small or big) for D3? I normally put three lenses with the camera i.e. wide angle, mid ranged zoom and a tele, perhaps a 50mm prime and a macro and flash light, if I want to throw everything into it.</p>

<p>I am looking at Flipside 400 AW but I doubt if it is very similar to mini trekker.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Leon</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You can check the specs for a bag which is 6" deep. The D3 will still protrude a little, but not enough to matter. In general, these are going to be really big backpacks, like the Lowepro Photo Trekker, or any of the Thinktank backpacks.</p>

<p>That said, I carry my D3 in a Computrekker, which is nearly the same inside as the Mini Trekker. While the prism does stick out above the partitions, the cover zips easily, and it is just the right size to carry three f/2.8 zooms plus a 300/4 AFS and accessories.</p>

<p>Warning - a backpack doesn't protect your gear very well on the cover side. Be careful what you put in the zipper pockets. I smashed an expensive polarizer with the prism housing of a Nikon in the course of a minor fall. The only backpack I have with partitions taller than the D3 is a Thinktank Airport Addicted, an huge bag indeed (but qualified as carry-on).</p>

<p>Just purchased Lowepro Compuprimus AW. Awesome. Wasn't available through the usual uk retailers - found it on the Lowepro site. Loads of space for photo gear, other items, laptop etc. Side access to camera too and only £70 for a superb quality rucksack. Will take a pro body with 80-200 attached plus 4 - 5 extra lenses/flashguns.</p>

<p>Leon,<br>

Take a look at the KATA CC series. I use a CC190 for my D3 & 80-400 with the camera back at one end of the bag and then a divider with a 24-120VR and a 35mm 1.4 both on their lens caps. The 80-400 is on the D3. In front of the D3 and along side of the 80-400 is a small can of compressed air to blow off lens mounts. In front of that is my Canon close up lens for the 80-400. It has zippers and clasps that work well. The bag is intended for Video cameras and can be bought in various lengths and widths and heights. So lay out how you want the stuff to set in the bag and then measure to see the exact size needed. The D3 fits with about 5mm clearance side to side and top. The 80-400 pushes against the padded separater with the other lenses touching the padding of the case.</p>

<p>Leon,<br>

I use the Flipside 400AW for my D3 for close to a year now and I'm happy with the bag. I can fit the D3 with 24-70 attached, a 70-200 and a SB-800 along with other accessories. I can even fit my 300mm 2.8 with the D3 attached along with a lens or two.<br>

I've taken this bag on my trips and am pleased with the level of protection.</p>

<p>Trust this helps.</p>

<p>The Kata CC is a bag with a single large compartment to hold a large video camera with ready access, and smaller pockets to hold the usual video accessories. The shoulder strap does little to balance the load, and is mainly used when carrying it a short distance from the car to the location where it will be used. They are little more than a tool bag, like a plumber or carpenter would use, but with a little padding around the edges.</p>

<p><br />I shoot a lot of professional video, and have several bags of this sort. They're fine for the intended purposes, but I would never consider using them for a DSLR with lenses. To each his own, I suppose.</p>