Best Lens for Mark ii 5d for Portraits

<p>I need help figuring out what lens would be the best overall lens for my new camera. My sister and I recently started a small side business of taking photos of babies, toddlers, families, etc. We have two cameras - My old one Canon Rebel Xti and a Canon Mark ii 5d (which my husband just suprised me with - nice surprise) We have three lenses 1.kit lens Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II, 2. Canon EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS and 3. Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II - All these lenses were purchased before we started this side business - just for taking pictures of our kids. We would like to buy a new lens for use with the 5d - we would use it for taking portraits mostly outdoors with natural light - when we do use it inside it is still with natural light in my house or at clients house - for like small kids and newborns. We take both still portraits and candids of kids at the sessions we do. Would like to try to spend $1500 or less if possible - but dontn want to comprimise if a better lens would only be a couple hundered dollars more than my budget. Thinking we would like a zoom lens - since we can probably only afford one lens as of now - but would it be better to get a prime lens?!? Have been told that we should spend as much as we can on a good lens rather than buy a cheap lens with a good camera?! Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!!</p>

<p>The 50mm should make a fine portrait lens; 35mm equivalent on your digital is about 80mm if I remember correctly (I don't shoot a Cannon), a good portrait length, and the aperture is wide enough to work with, even stopped down one or two stops, for portrature. If your camera is a full-frame digital (since I don't know the Cannon models that well), then you will want a lens in the 75mm to 110mm range with a wide aperature for portrait work; then you'll find the 50mm best for groups.</p>

<p>Sine the 5D is a FF camera, a 50mm is just a 50mm. For babies and toddlers I think this would be an ok lens, allowing you to get in close. However, most people will consider a 50mm too short of a focal length on the FF. "The" focal lengths that most people rave about for portraits are 85mm, 100mm or even higher for flattering photos of adults. (cause we dont like our noses sticking out so much).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For result Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Autofocus Lens ($ 1869) is the best.<br>

But I think for taking photo of specially kids Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens ($ 1309) is comfortable, but the result is not as sharp as 85mm L prime.<br>

And finally Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Autofocus Lens ($ 1049) is not as sharp as the earlier 2. But it is very confortable for its light weight, the range of zoom and the price.<br>

My openion is if you want to purchase only one lens than go for 2nd one for result or the 3rd one for more comfort. All the best.</p>

<p>For Canon, 35 becomes 50, 50 becomes 85, and 85 becomes 135. (At least, that's how I remember it. The actual math is a little different -- I'm rounding to the closest lens.)</p>

<p>I like primes, and find they're awesome for portraits, especially on full frame. I like the 85 f/1.8, which is an excellent lens, both lighter and less expensive than the wider L, and still very sharp, and the 135L f/2, which is very nice on a FF camera. It'll be about a 200mm lens on the XTI, though.</p>

<p>Given your two bodies, I'd look at the 85mm first. That way you have a 135mm equivalent on your XTI and an 85mm equivalent on your FF. With your bodies and your 50mm, you'd have 50mm (50mm on 5d), 85mm (both bodies with 50mm on XTI and 85mm on 5d), and 135mm (85 on XTI) focal lengths covered. This gives you backup in the excellent 85mm focal length, and some breadth for wider or closer portraits too.</p>

<p>With portraits I find that zoom isn't really needed, since you can usually fairly easily adjust your distance to the subject. (Sneaker zoom!) This is just my preference, though.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><em >“My sister and I recently started a small side business of taking photos of babies, toddlers, families, etc. <strong >We have two cameras</strong> - My old one Canon Rebel Xti and a Canon Mark ii 5d . . . <strong >We have three lenses </strong>1.kit lens Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II, 2. Canon EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS and 3. Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II </em></p>

<p ><em > We would like to buy a new lens <strong >for use with the 5d</strong> - we would use it for taking <strong >portraits mostly outdoors with natural light - when we do use it inside it is still with natural light in my house or at clients house - for like small kids and newborns.”</strong></em></p>

<p ><em >“Would like to try to <strong >spend $1500</strong> or less if possible - but dontn want to comprimise if a better lens would only be a couple hundered dollars more than my budget. Thinking we would like a zoom lens - since we can <strong >probably only afford one lens </strong>as of now - but would it be better to get a prime lens?!?”</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p ><em > </em></p>

<p >I would buy two lenses:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >EF85F/1.8 USM : <a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=925231">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=925231</a></p>

<p >Ef135F/2 L USM : <a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=948936">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=948936</a></p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p> . . . the point which you should take under consideration is that when Shooting Available Light Portraiture, you will need adequate Tv (Shutter Speed) to address Subject Movement, and in this regard Primes will be faster (larger aperture) than Zooms. IMO F/4 does not cut it and F2.8 is found lacking on occasions.<br>

<br>

Infants and Toddlers need special attention in regard to the LIMIT of Tv one can use for Available Light Portrait Capture.<br>

<br>

50, 85 and 135 are good Portrait FL for use on a 5D (which is what your question asks) those three FL give good flexibility indoors and outside for AL work. <br>

<br>

You might find you are a bit cramped inside if you have a group – the 35/2 is a good lens to have . . . and will not break the bank. The 35/1.4L is magic.<br>

<br>

*** <br>

<br>

Incidentally: moving the zoom ring to crop Tighter or Wider is not the same as reframing the scene by changing the camera’s viewpoint (i.e. using a Prime lens and Moving closer or farther away).<br>

The first changes the <strong ><em >Field of View,</em></strong> of the Shot; the second changes the <strong ><em >Perspective </em></strong>of the Shot, and there is a big difference.<br>

<br>

<br>

WW<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

<p > </p>