Calibration pc to printer

<p>Hi,<br>

I've recently acquired an ASUS laptop to replace the iMac we had. I have an HP B8550 which when it was connected to the Mac gave excellent prints matching almost perfectly the image on the screen. Since I connected the printer to the ASUS my prints colors are way off. They are extremely warm.<br>

How can I calibrate pc and printer?<br>

Thank you in advance</p>

<p>Or are you saying that while prints from your Mac were close to what was on your Mac screen, prints from your Asus are much warmer (and I'm guessing darker?) that what's on your Asus screen? If it's that, you should do a calibration using a hardware calibrating device such as an i1 Display 2.</p>

<p>There are 2 seperate issues. All laptop LCDs I have seen have heavy blue cast which might explain your experience. Though far from perfect, you still need to calibrate the LCD with i1D2 or Spyder3 etc . Then for accurate prints, you can either choose the papers based on the HP profiles, or do your own profiling using Spyder3Print.</p>

<p>Hi, thanks for the replies.<br>

Chas, yes, images that previously printed fine with the iMac are now very warm printing from the laptop and without any supplemental post-processing.<br>

Andrew, actually the prints are not darker but a lot redder.<br>

For calibrating the screen I have access to an eye-one display2 by Pantone. Would it be a problem?</p>

<p>1_make sure you have a calibrated display (a laptop monitor is not a appropriate display calibrated or not)</p>

<p>2_make sure you are using the latest printer driver and also make sure he is correctly installed.</p>

<p>you print from what software? what printer? what paper and ink?</p>

<p>If the same image and same settings, without additional adjustments, wre used with the same printerthe same printer, the prints should look the same. All the computer does is send numbers to the printer, and numbers are numbers.</p>

<p>If you see a difference, then settings in the program, print driver or printer are different. If you are using the same software and version, check the print settings to make sure they are the same. Likewise, check the print driver for the same settings.</p>

<p>In a color managed work flow, the printer is set so that no internal adjustments are used, so that the program is in control. The program (e.g., Photoshop) is set to control the color, and a print profile is used specifically for that printer and brand of paper.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, all I have is a laptop and I have to work with that.<br>

The software is Nikon Capture NX, Printer is HP B8550, HP inks. I need to buy the HP paper as I was using some other brand that I bought at Calumet.</p>

<p>OK... For some unexplained reason, the HP B8550 installation software does not install ICC profiles on Windows machines, only Macs. So unless you acquired the profiles some other way, you don't have the profiles needed for application managed printing. So it seems like you're printing with non-HP paper and not using a profile. Is the printer trying to manage the color, thinking it's being fed HP Advanced Photo paper?</p>

<p>BTW... I just happen to have the HP profiles for this model printer in case you want them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You can download profiles from paper manufacturers for popular printers. Remember, profiles are specific for a brand of paper and model of printer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's ironic (stupid) that HP doesn't even provide the typical canned ICC profiles for its own paper with this model printer. The only way to get the HP canned profiles is to install the printer to a Mac and then transfer the profiles to a Windows PC..</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If the same image and same settings, without additional adjustments, wre used with the same printerthe same printer, the prints should look the same. All the computer does is send numbers to the printer, and numbers are numbers.<br>

If you see a difference, then settings in the program, print driver or printer are different.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Right!</p>