Not impressed

michael_bland

<p>Without the (expensive) top end lenses, your Fuji PS probably has much better glass/optics, and hence better images than your DSLR. The real advantages of a DSLR come thru when you get top lenses, off camera flash, etc. <br>

I have a Minolta 7D (once a top end DSLR), and a Panasonic/Leica FX-150. The 150 has stellar optics, and I use it most of the time, as it is so versatile and compact. The DSLR is good for things the PS cant do, such as shallow DOF portraits, bounce falsh, etc.<br>

If you are not willing to invest some serious money, I think you are better off staying with your Fuji, and selling the Rebel. Your current setup isnt going to give you much better results, and it is much bulkier too.</p>

<p>Mike,</p>

<p>Your sample image shows a lot of artifacts common with over compressed JPEGs. It is pixelated, look around the guide wire on the power pole. So it really does not give us anything to go on. I am going to assume that the issue is with sharpness by your above comments....</p>

<p>Going by that sample alone, it is clearly a processing problem. What image size setting are you using on the camera (I again assume you are shooting JPEG) and how was that image processed, or was it straight from the camera? Also what ISO did you use. The Meta data seems to be gone.</p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>Michael, too little info to have many be able to help you. The example you posted has no EXIF info, so no one can tell what shutter speed, focal length or f-stop was used. And you would need to provide what you were focusing on as well, infinity? Some where close? A low shutter speed will give you problems like shown above, but there could be some DOF issues and other issues contributing as well. The fist thing to do is to make sure you have a fast enough shutter speed (and hold the camera steady), next is to use an appropriate f-stop and third is to make sure the exposure is correct. A little under exposing degrades most images.<br>

<br>

If you feel the lens is not right, get a 50mm 1.8 and learn to shoot with it for a while, then go back to the zoom. </p>

<p>[[if you are not willing to invest some serious money, I think you are better off staying with your Fuji, and selling the Rebel. Your current setup isnt going to give you much better results, and it is much bulkier too.]]</p>

<p>I completely disagree with this statement. A DSLR is a versatile tool and one does not need to spend thousands of dollars to produce good images as well as learn more about photography. </p>

<p>The Fuji S5000 was a good camera in its time. I had a parallel though not identical experience. After a Grand Canyon trip, the Canon G9 point-and-shoot pictures were better than from Canon 300D with 18-55 lens.<br>

In my opinion the main problem with the picture you posted is lousy dynamic range, with the tree branches dissolving against the light gray sky, and lack of texture in the clouds. An expensive lens is not going to help this problem. Any Fuji EXR camera would have worked better.</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

A DSLR will have a much shorter depth-of-field compared to a point-and-shoot (POS). This is due to its vastly larger sensor size. Consequently the POS will make the whole image (foreground and background) look sharp where the DSLR will only be in focus close to where you focused and no where else. You can fix this by making the aperture smaller (bigger number, try f=11 or f=16). <br>

Here are some setting that might improve things:<br>

1) set the shooting mode to Aperture Priority (Av)<br>

2) set the ISO to 400<br>

3) set the aperture to 16 (or 11 if you need more light)</p>

<p>Other settings, Auto White Ballance (AWB), AF mode to "one shot", quality to maximum (L), evaluative metering.<br>

Now go out either early in the day, or late in the afternoon, when there is a reasonable amount of light, but the sun is lower in the sky. High noon (on a sunny day) is the worst time to take pictures. If it is cloudy or overcast, all the better. I would also use the 17-55 IS lens. Go take some pictures and I'll bet the quality will improve. Make sure you do not jerk the camera when you push the shutter. Steady the camera on a wall, table, etc. if necessary.<br>

You should also try and set the focus point on just the center focus only, and not use all the focus points. This way you will be focus only on what is in the center of the image and not some side point that might be closer.<br>

I guarantee that this camera (and the 18-55 IS lens) is capable of producing stunning images that the Fuji can't compare with. You may have to do a little homework to learn about DSLR photography. I recommend "The Digital Photography Book (Vol. 1) by Scott Kelby. I would get to know the Av mode and know a little about when to set the aperture to get a certain effect. f=8-11 should give pretty sharp results for most lenses. f=16 is still pretty sharp and use it when you want to get a larger depth of field (more things in focus).<br>

Here is a link to my website (http://www.capitalareaphoto.com). Except for Vermont (taken with a 5DII) all photos were taken with a Canon XTi (2006-2008) or an XSi (2008-2009). These cameras are similar to yours. I did use a variety of lenses, including the 18-55 IS.<br>

If you like telephoto, the Canon 55-250 is a great value. You may also consider the 18-200 if you are looking for a wide range zoom. I hope this helps and good luck.<br>

Mike</p>

<p>Nathan Gardner is right on....anything Canon makes is fine...maybe not the best that Feininger would have used, but fine for amateurs. Like any new piece of equipment, learn the parameters and work with it. There are many grades of equipment, but most times the difference is only in certain areas and basics are still basics. No offense, but please don't blame equipment for lack of learned technique. I bought into Canon and did okay, but switched back to Nikon because of ease of use and weight (Had been using Nikon for years). Both are great. Good luck and my best to you.<br>

ADDED...I just saw Mike Whalen's post...Right above mine...Absolutely right on. Agree 100%. Thank you Mike.</p>

<p>It's not surprising you're not impressed with your lenses or body- they're basically consumer equipment. The 18-55 lens is basically a "kit" lens that comes with the Rebel. You might try upgrading all of your lenses to something practical, like the 24-105L or possibly a prime.</p>