British Ranelagh folding camera

coomber

<p>Not really a rangefinder question, but many of these old folders are rangefinders, so hopefully someone here can shed some light on this.<br>

I picked this very old looking folding camera up the other day, minimal markings or functions - looks like it could be a fixed focus 6x9 folding camera, by the lens is has "British Ranelagh" on it.<br>

Having googled this inside out, I can find nothing on this camera - anyone ever heard of this or have any suggestions? I'm at work just now, so I can't provide much more info/pictures, will try and post some photo's of it soon.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Craig.</p>

<p>The only Ranelagh I know is the Dublin suburb of the same name...which I guess would be the "Irish Ranelagh" (;)) A few streets away in the same district is Rathmines, home of the famous Grubb optical company until 1925; I wonder if there's a connection with the lens on your camera? Probably too tenuous.</p>

<p>"The Ranelagh" was a public gardens in London opened in 1742 which was created on the site of Ranelagh House, built by the first Earl of Ranelagh who got he title from said suburb of Dublin. Cost of entrance in 1742 was 2 shillings and 6 pence and it was considered very fashionable in it's time.<br>

Well that's what wikipedia has to say on the subject anyway!<br>

I'm guessing that the camera company were trying to cash in on the history of Earls, etc. in "The Ranelagh" to make it seem a bit nicer than it really is - who says spin is new!!</p>