Good software for sequencing scanned images into movie format

<p>Greetings, I understand this is not a movie film forum, but my question relates heavily with digital scanned images saved as JPG. I have two old small Pathex home movie reels which date from the 1920's. I'm judging this film to be old celulose nitrate film as it's is showing many signs of the dreaded "firestarter" syndrome. The film is crimpled and reeks of vinegar. I understand it can be a fire hazard and I treat them accordingly. I've managed to get some fairly decent scans from the individual frames. I cut roughly an 8" strip from one of the reels and taped it flat against my scanner bed. I then scan the entire strip to an acceptable resolution and then make what improvements I can in PS. I then crop out each individual frame and save as JPG. My question for anyone who might can help, what software can I use to sequence the scanned frames into a movie format outside from doing them as a GIF animation? I am of course thankful for anyones time towards this. Charles </p>

I sometimes do film clips from images as part of my job (rendered graphics from a simulator but the same principle applies). I use MEncoder for this; it is a command line application but I believe there's graphical frontends for it as well. The trick is not finding a piece of software that will do this for you, however, but to figure out what format and settings to use. It's like processing RAW or scanning stuff, only worse: it's easy enough to get so-so results, but to really get a high-quality clip - and one that will actually play on all the devices you want - you end up having to delve fairly deeply into a morass of codecs and parameters.

<p>There are several programs to do this. One is a combination of Adobe Photoshop Elements and Adobe Premiere Elements - the set costs about $100. You can set up the images in Photoshop Elements and compile them into a movie in Premiere Elements. Premiere Pro will do it too, but at a much higher cost. Another consumer program popular with wedding photographers is "ProShow Gold", or something to that effect.</p>

<p>The output is like a DVD movie - you can play it, use transitions, music, etc., but you can't extract individual images from the disc.</p>

<p>Most DVD players will display JPEG images on a data disc just like a slide show. It's painless to produce - just downsize the JPEGs to minimize the drawing time. You can't protect the images, however, so it's more appropriate for relatives than clients.</p>

<p>Yes, I just purchased Adobe Premiere Elements and it will do exactly what you want to do, and in a rather automated method. I also have use Muvee, which is perhaps a bit easier to use, and possibly cheaper. They both will output to Flash or most digital movie formats.</p>

<p>On a PC, I use Sony Vegas (30 day free trial, fully functional). If you number the scans in sequence, you can tell vegas to put all of them on the timeline in order, with or without a transition, how long the transition is, how long each clip should be, etc. so when you import media, there's a little checkbox that says "Open still image sequence", you chose the first one in the sequence and it picks the rest as long as your naming them in order (i.e. 01scan, 02scan, etc.). To get the import right, first go to Options->Preferences->click on the Edit tab. You'll see new image length in seconds (default is 29.97fps). You can set this to about .034 to start (you'll probably have to play around with this). Uncheck Automatically overlap multiple selected media when added, click ok to save. Even if you select all the files from explorer and drag them to the timeline, they will drag in with the settings you specified.<br>

I do this all the time. Works really well. </p>

<p>

<p>You can use Photoshop from at least CS3 and forward. You have to use file>open. Navigate to your images and only chose the first image. They can't be raw files.<br>

Right below where it says the file type (TIFF), there will be the check box for Image Sequence. It only becomes active if you chose only the first image. You will get errors if your files are not numbered in sequence. It will then ask for Frame Rate. After that it opens in photoshop as a single layer. The icon will have a small filmstrip look to it. You then have to choose File>Export>Render Video. As for what the correct choice is, that is beyond me.<br>

Notes: The files need to be the same dimensions unless you don't want it to be fluid. Usually it will take the size of the very first image but you can designate dimensions on export. <br>

Lots of work if not from the same source. I do this every once in a while using the intervalometer feature of the Canon Powershot Pro 1 that is six years old. </p>

</p><div>00WitV-253631584.jpg.be696a19142ba34745a1ef851c8bf393.jpg</div>

<p> Words can not express how thankfull I am esspecially when I am granted such magnificence! Magnificent contributors who've taken time in offering truly magnificent answers. I DO thank you and I wish I could better extend my appreciation for you all in taking your time and helping me better connect the dots. <br>

Maybe I am off kilter for saying and asking this, but isn't it a bit amazing just how quickly our 20th century has fallen more distant in age? I'm better noticeing now many of the recordable medias from the past (which were once commonplace to me or just only a few decades in age) are now starting to show their age and suffering obviouse signs of serious deterioration. Some things as you all know are now too far gone and lost forever while others...it's either now or likely never. From Pathex movie reels, to U-Matic video tapes...they may now can be regarded as relics of a truly and extraordinary time. </p>