SD vs Compact Flash

kyle_heaser

<p>I certainly wouldn't use the type of memory card as a primary determinant in choosing a camera.</p>

<p>I don't believe there is any difference in the actual FLASH chips that are used to make the two kinds of cards. Both also come in a wide variety of speeds. SD cards are smaller, and don't have any pins to worry about. CF cards are larger and have pins that (very) occasionally get damaged.</p>

<p>Inspect closely SD cards and CF cards. What you will see that SD cards have ONLY about enough connectors to allow a single byte of data to be written or read from, at a time. This is usually OK for consumer grade cameras.</p>

<p>Then.. look at the number of pins of the CF cards, as they enabale multi byte parallel write or read at a the same time.</p>

<p>So, if your camera does not provide paraller multiport write operation, then most likely it will have the SD card.</p>

<p>Some expensive DSLR cameras allow multiple port parallel write (.e.g writing 4 bytes at the same time on 4 separate ports/address lines). </p>

<p>So, it is clear what advantage or disadvantage one memory type can have, but that all depends if you need that speed, and are willing to pay fo it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is usually OK for consumer grade cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Interesting comment given that Canon pro cameras can have SD slots. Especially considering that the highest throughput in this test:</p>

<p>http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9038</p>

<p>shows that the SD cards are faster on this camera.</p>

<p>However, speed is rarely relevant to camera users. Only professional sports shooters and PJs really need the fastest cards when shooting.</p>

<p>The question was about: "What is the difference between SD and Compact Flash memory cards"</p>

<p>.,, and it was not about if the speed is relevant or not, relevant to any camera, or sport or other type slow shooter user.</p>

<p>Jeff, try to be objective, rather then trying to minimize the major benefit of CF cards. </p>

<p>differences?,well lets see...</p>

<p>SD cards are substantially smaller, thinner, and ligher than CF.</p>

<p>SD cards have a 'write protect' lock switch that you can turn to LOCK or WRITE to enable or diasble writing to the chip. CF cards do not.</p>

<p>Some say CF cards are more ergonomic (easy to handle) than SD cards precisely because they are not so small.</p>

<p>Some say SD cards are harder to keep up with and more easily lost than CF cards because of their small size.</p>

<p>They are certainly designed around two completely different electical design standards. You would have to do some research in an archive like the IEEE standards to get precisely how the standards differ.</p>

<p>An SD card uses gold slider contacts that make contact with internal contact springs inside a camera. A CF card uses female receptor holes that make contact with male contacts in the camera.</p>

<p>I have read posts by pros commenting on this same question, to the effect that they have taken many, many, many pics with CF cards without a single failure, but they reported various failures with SD cards. Use the search function on this website, search on CF Cards, and you will dig up some of these threads.</p>

<p>SD cards are mostly plastic envelopes enclosing the memory chip and supporting circuitry. CF cards are more robust constructions, sometimes metal. So some say CF cards are inherently more rugged and robust than SD.</p>

<p>To compare performance, you have to look at individual pkg specs on a model by model basis. If you are an 'average' amatuer shooter who shoots single shots exclusively, not continuous shooting, then probably either type will perform the same for you.</p>

<p>If you need the highest performance from an SD format, you can look into getting an SDHC type card, (but check your manual first to confirm your camera will operate using an SDHC level card). SDHC cards are rated for use in hi-def 30fps video cams so they will perform well in modern digital cameras. I have used SanDisk, Lexmark, and Toshiba brand 4GB and 8GB SDHC cards while making hour long HD videos - never had any problems to speak of.</p>

<blockquote><p>CF cards are larger and have pins that (very) occasionally get damaged.</p></blockquote>

<p>CF cards don't have pins. CF card SLOTS have pins. CF cards are actually more robust, being too thick to break by being sat on while in a pants pocket.</p>

<p>Biggest difference is that the interface on a CF card is the same as the one on a harddisk, allowing for higher theoretical throughput, provided that the flash chips inside can keep up (which is the limiting factor in most cards)</p>

<p>This is only an issue if your camera supports this, and if you have a reader that can take advantage of it. If you have an older camera, and download pictures using the camera, you won't notice the difference.</p>

<p>CF cards were designed as IDE devices; to be used as a Disk drive!.</p>

<p> They go back about 16 years to a 2 meg card</p>

<p>They have *MANY MORE female contacts /(connections) than SD cards.<br /> If dropped in a mess of dirt or super fine sand; a CF cards *holes/contacts* can get fouled; where as an SD card has open contacts. Thus a dumber SD cards is more robust with dirt; BUT it is easier to break since thinner.<br /> <br /> CF cards on used on industrial controllers with enbedded OS's such as NT4 or XP enbedded ; that are stripped down OS variants; or Linuix.</p>

<p>Gas pumps; cash register at McDonalds; ATM's ; printers; copiers; often have industrial CF cards in CF card to IDE adapters as their hard drives.</p>

<p>CF cards allow a nice small few GIG HGA to be on a computer; that is a bootbale HDA with no moving parts.</p>

<p>In cameras; here I use both SD and CF cards; SD are in my Epson RD-1 and many P&S cameras; CF are in some dslrs. CF cards are in some of my computers as the ONLY "HDA" too; using a CF card to IDE adapter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you need the highest performance from an SD format, you can look into getting an SDHC type card</p>

</blockquote>

<p>SDHC is SD High Capacity. There is a difference between capacity and speed.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have read posts by pros commenting on this same question</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Where? You say to use search, I don't see any. Every pro I know using the 1D series shoots both SD and CF without commenting on any issues.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Some say CF cards are more ergonomic (easy to handle) than SD cards precisely because they are not so small.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Who are "some"? Where does one find them? SD cards are far easier to insert properly than CF cards.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Some say SD cards are harder to keep up with and more easily lost than CF cards because of their small size.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Who are "some"? Where does one find them? The size difference really isn't significant in the grand scheme of things. I've never lost a card of any type, but I have misplaced my flash.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Jeff, try to be objective</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />I was. You said that SD cards were for consumer cameras. Pro cameras do use them. That is objective fact. </p>

>>> .,, and it was not about if the speed is relevant or not, relevant to any camera, or sport or other type

slow shooter user. Jeff, try to be objective, rather then trying to minimize the major benefit of CF cards.

Since you were the one who brought up and made speed an issue, further clarifying information as to its relevancy to

photographers then became necessary.

I agree, it's just not a big deal. And really only matters to people who fill up the camera's image buffer; ie

pj's and sports shooters. Videographers might need faster cards, but even then there are SD cards that are

fast enough.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>There are different speeds of SD and CF cards; both are actually old devices.</p>

<p>One has too that there are "fake" SD and CF cards; that look the same; have the same logos; same holagrams too.</p>

<p>A SD or CF card often does not test as fast as it is spec'ed; with a bogus card.</p>

<p>Saying pros do not use SD cards like saying pros do not use tri-X or 50mm F2 lenses; at best it is a weird statement.</p>

<p>The SD card allows one to use a micro or mini SD card too; with an adapter. My Blackberry has a 8 gig micro SD card. This same card can go into my cameras with an adapter.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>They are simply two different packaging of flash memory. CF came first and for a while was the preferred flash memory for DSLRs although some companies such as Sony use their own packaged memories, i.e. the memory stick. SDHC is now the preferred package as it is smaller although CF continues to be used in pro level DSLRs. However even they sometimes have both a CF and a SDHC slot. There are minor advantages and disadvantages between the two packaging schemes but overall, they are both equal.</p>

<p>Today, the memory packaging is no longer a significant reason to chose one camera over another unless you already have cameras that uses one of them. There is a minor convenience and cost savings in being able to use your existing memory cards.</p>

<p>Danny</p>

• 6 months later...

SD is the card format of the future. It is almost ubiquitous today even, being

not only the most popular card type (along with SDHC) for small consumer

electronics, such as compact digital cameras, but for large professional

devices, such as notebook computers and DSLR cameras. A few new DSLR

cameras do accept CF cards, but far more sales are DSLR cameras that use

the SD card, such as the Nikon D5000, the new DSLR of the year, the Sony

A55, and most new Canon DSLR models, including the new 60 D and all of

Canon's most popular DSLR cameras, the digital Rebels, such as the new

T2i.

Still, the fastest cards are the most expensive CF cards.

I use fast microSD cards in microSD to SD adapters, and if I'm shooting with a camera that takes CF cards, I use a Cf

to SD adapter. Why? Because I like to be able to easily use common devices, such as the SD card readers that are

built into so many devices these days. I use microSD cards, because they seem to be the same price and speeds as

SD, but give me more options. I can use them like SD cards when they are in their adapters, but if an adapter gets

damaged I can just change adapters.