Losing (almost) another F-1 eyecup

bsharpe411

<p>A few months ago I noticed that after spending the day with my F-1N, the eyecup was missing. It wasn't an OEM Canon cup, but a good aftermarket cup (Sonia) which had the threaded ring and glass. Everything was completely gone including the ring.</p>

<p>Earlier today my wife and I were walking along on a city street and I had my trusty F-1N with me again. It was on a wide camera strap and hanging off my right shoulder, down near waist level. My wife had slowed down a bit to look in a window, and just as she came to catch up with me, she shouted, "Something just fell off yor camera." It was the eyepiece. It was completely intact and had simply unscrewed from the prism. A few days earlier I had noticed that it was loose on the prism, so I tightened it securely (or so I thought).</p>

<p>My only assumption is that the movement of the back of the camera against me as I'm walking is causing the eyepiece to gradually unscrew. I suppose keeping it in a case would solve the problem, but this method of camera transport is what I've been doing for years without problems using various snap-on or slip-on eyepieces of other FD bodies.</p>

<p>Is it just me or has anybody else out there had this problem...and if so, any solutions?</p>

I haven't had a big problem with F1s but the T90 is terrible for this. Once the eyepiece gets old it can be pulled off when the camera rubs against something. Removing it from a case, carrying it around the neck - all can pull off the eyepiece. I tend to take it off and put it in my pocket as the original is very hard to find.

<p>Phil...I also have a T-90. The Canon eyecup made for the EOS Rebel XTi works very well on the T-90. It's been several years and I haven't lost it yet.</p>

<p>Ed...the Loctite is a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks.</p>

<p>Chris...I found a supplier on eBay that sells 10 F-1 eyecups in a package deal. About the same cost as buying 3 separately.</p>