Wedding Critique of the Week 6/14/10

picturesque

<p>This week's image was taken by Athena Aronow.<br /><br />This is Part 2 of Wedding Photo of the Week. You can see all submissions in the thread with that title.In your critiques - include what you would do to improve the shot or why the shot is perfect as it is.<br /><br />Remember that this is not a contest. Sometimes an image will be a winning image and sometimes an image that needs some help. Try not to just say "great shot" but explain why it works. Or - "Doesn't do it for me" without explaining why.<br /><br />The photographer up for critique for this week should remember that the comments expressed each week are simply "opinions" and the effort and focus of these threads are to learn and to take images to another level. There will be times where the critique is simply members pointing out why the shot works which is also a way for others to learn about what aspects contribute to a good wedding photo. In reading all critiques -- you may agree or disagree with some points of view - but remember that there are varying approaches and often no right or wrong answer.</p>

<p>Athena's Comments: Canon 5D MK II 50mm 1.2/ ISO 800 F2.2 1/1250<br/>

I don't typically shoot such "posed" shots, but I really did love this one!</p><div>00Wgpf-252595584.jpg.a3c3b36e106473cacc581dcbc00e645c.jpg</div>

<p>My .02 cents.<br /> What I liked about it:<br /> - Lovely light.<br />- Good DOF to focus us on the subject.<br />- Great background.<br />- Nice bit of colour with the flowers on an otherwise all-white shot.<br /><br /><br>

<br />What didn't work for me:<br /><br /> - The pose to me is very rigid. Someone said above that she looks proud, which is a valid interpretation of her facial expression, but the rest of her seems posed and rigid.<br /><br />- The composition itself seems a bit mundane to me. She's sitting in the middle of the frame and she's not close enough for one to actually see details, but also not far enough to see her full-body or her full dress.<br>

- Her legs are cut off. Maybe his was intentional but it's a bit sloppy to me.<br /><br />- The dress is a bit blown out in the highlights (this could just be my monitor though).<br /><br />- I find the darkness in the left side of the background distracting from the main subject. The right side of the background is great though.</p>

<p>Really, very very lovely image. It only lacks a bit of color and a slight repair on the blown out highlights of the dress which are a shame.<br>

<br /> I have sharpened the image, added some warmth and boosted the flower brilliance/saturation, did a slight softening filter on the bride's skin, used MCP's Magic Recovery a few times to bring back some of the lost detail in the dress, along with the exposure tool. I used a color bleaching tool to take the color cast off of the dress, and et voila! The original is still lovely!</p><div>00Wgwb-252647584.jpg.3064a2ec1ed0843b519d65c542984ef6.jpg</div>

<p>Excellent use of F/2.2. <br>

<br>

I think the stylized pose requires some subtle darkroom work.<br>

Keeping the 7.5 x 5 ratio in Landscape, (which can work), the key darkroom elements for consideration are:<br>

1a. Details & Highlights - Dress. <br>

1b. Face - especially eyes and mouth.<br>

1c. Background - ledge intrusion<br>

2. Tonal range extended to "Black Black" thus better use of negative space<br>

3. Crop for impact and to suit: aspect ratio; diagonals; corners and thirds.<br>

<br>

The first is the original; the second subtly addresses the set of points in (1); the third addresses the tonal range; and the fourth is the crop.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<div>00Wgzh-252673584.thumb.jpg.eb6d36d30833d6e3d060ad629a3c4078.jpg</div>

<p>I really rather like this image and am generally pretty happy with it. The dress isn't blow-out but the excessive light interferes with seeing the dtails....so, I'd like a little less light there but add more light for fill to the face and eyes. I'd also like to see more light in the background over her right shoulder. All in all, a very nice effort.....</p><div>00Wh0M-252675584.jpg.8c3d6d7351ec61d601c4f9de900748c7.jpg</div>

<p>Fun! I'm glad to have been chosen for critique. (Finally :)) I love everyone's interpretation of how they think the image looks best- I guess that's what makes the world go round, and what also makes room for so many photographers! I'm attaching the un-edited version. It's not that much different from the version I submitted. I suppose I could have taken more time bringing the exposure back down in the dress, etc.... but I am guilty of trying to get away with the least amount of editing possible. Thanks again!</p><div>00Wh5h-252721784.jpg.6ab1851a5221dfe57be41734562f086e.jpg</div>

<p>Funny, I dont think anyone (other than perhaps Jack) has actually improved on Athena's original. I certainly dont think you should make a white dress grey. I wonder when is blown out white really too much.</p>

<p>Yeah I know the tilt is cliche' but what the heck. I like the bride with less space around her. There is something unsettling about the space on the left and the darker versions intensify that feeling for me. Its a nice shot overall though, and the light is nice. The bride is pretty and thats a funny nice smile. I like the tighter crop of Jack, Dawn, and Deiter's versions.</p><div>00WhMa-252883684.jpg.abb68a95952f5336931b663e89e0bf71.jpg</div>

<p>I <em>really </em>like your tweeks Simon ... I find this one to be the most visually interesting of all. There's something so ethereal, something more timeless, about your version. Perhaps it's because it's got more of a sepia quality to it. I also like not seeing the empty space to bride's right ... for me it was almost "scary", as if she may fall off! That's just me - I'm afraid of heights.</p>

Haven't really liked any of the PS tweaks offered up as they feel to me to be a bit heavy handed for a shot filled with simplicity. The lighting is beautiful, the angle of the head is just right, and her face and hair frame that far eye perfectly. The changes I would suggest have to do with the original composition of the shot. I would first avoid placing her dead center as it does not provide for movement of the eye throughout the frame. I would have also brought her into that dark area to the left, having her as a shining beacon amongst the dark and therefore the most powerful element in the frame and bringing in an element of chiaroscuro. Finally, the lead hand should be turned in so that it is more than just a thumb and forefinger which would also help with the locked elbow. The opposite hand should be in the frame somewhere so that she does not appear amputated. Possibly have the trailing hand holding the flowers across her lap?

All in all, a very good shot that the untrained eye is not going to question. Very well done.