Expensing a polarizing filter?

<p>I have a client who consistently hires me for odd family photograph restoration jobs (which is not my specialty). The last two pieces he gave me are very old and framed with writing on the paper backing. I ended up having to purchase a $70 polarizing from Ritz Camera because my deadline was tight and didn't have time to wait for shipping.<br>

Do I invoice him for the entire cost of the filter as a reimburseable expense?<br>

Thank you,<br>

Becky</p>

<p>Well, it depends on your relationship with the client, your expectation of future use of the filter, and ... did I mention your relationship with the client? Is it governed by a contract, or by good common sense, or some mix of both? When you took control of those framed prints, did you suggest that you might have to take some unusual steps to work with them?</p>

<p>Hi Matt,<br>

I've known the client for six months. He is the father of my boss at my day job & when turning over the photographs to me, he also tried to lay a typing assignment on me (which I gracefully declined). There is no contract. I explained to him that this is a bit of a tricky assignment, to which he replied, "Just invoice me." I don't expect to have much more use of the filter.</p>

<p>Hi Becky.<br>

Well, since this is someone with whom you may do recurring business, I would think about "expensing" the cost of the filter over several invoices (i.e., "photographic supplies"), so that he will eventually pay for it, but won't feel it at one time. On the other hand, if you do bill him 100% cost in one invoice, this <em>may</em> possibly dissuade future business anyway! In addition, a polarizing filter is something that you will undoubtedly make use of over many years, so you can use your professional judgment as to whether you want this one client to "eat" the total cost. Good luck!</p>

<p>The issue is whether you intend to use the filter only once for a specific project or might find it useful for other projects later on. Pass through the entire cost of the filter as a project expense if it will be useless afterward because you will have no other way of being reimbursed for buying it. If it might be useful later for repeat business or other projects then include a portion of the cost as a part of your costs for buying tools of the trade, etc., factored into your pricing. Steve is right. A polarizing filter can be very useful.</p>

<p>Don't overlook the professional day job political implications of dealing with your boss's father. Does he work for the company too? Is he your boss's boss? Pay attention to who has the power where you work and what they can do for you. This can be much more important for your career than the money you paid for a filter for fixing up an old family photo.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a client... ...There is no contract.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not good. Now and in the future.</p>

<p>In this particular instance, charging for production equipment instead of materials, without arriving an an arrangement in advance, won't go over well whether its a technically valid expense or not.</p>

<p>I'd suggest just adding a reasonable "rush fee," if in fact you gave him some indication there might be extra expenses, and leave it at that. Personally, I wouldn't charge him for the total cost, as this is something you'll probably add to your gear and use in the future; if not, sell it on ebay as "like new" and recoup the rest of your expense.</p>

• 3 weeks later...