By day or by photo

<p>A company linked to the environmental education wants to make an exibition on biodiversity. They want me to photograph certain species, and they want to know how much do I charge by day or by photo. Which should I choose, day or photo? And what about prices?<br>

Thanks<br /><br>

</p>

<p>Really... You need to provide more information. Are they asking you to shoot a species they have on site or are they asking you to track animals in the wild? Can you walk in set up lighting and shoot or are you to set up beam trippers wired to camouflaged cameras?<br>

I bet what they want is for you to do it free. Why aren't they pulling photos from micro stock sites?</p>

<p>Thanks once more. They have the species on site (plants, fungai, ...). It is not far. Some are not easy to find (salamander) but I have on stock.<br>

The photos are for an exibition for kids from school. It is about environmental education.<br>

I never have sold photos for an exibition, or did some shoot for the same reason... that is why I am asking for help.</p>

<p>Eduardo,<br>

I think it would be best for you to use some books to figure out your own way of doing business and pricing. Try John Harrington's Book here:<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Business-Practices-Photographers-Second/dp/1435454294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276995227&sr=1-1<br>

Or ASMP's book here:<br>

http://www.amazon.com/ASMP-Professional-Business-Practices-Photography/dp/1581154976/ref=pd_sim_b_4<br>

Doing this will be more beneficial to you than my walking you through all the steps necessary to you finding your answer since I do not have the time necessary anyway.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>Ideally you should try to calculate how long will the whole project take you. If it is X amount of hours, then you could try to give them a standard charge for the shoot and then a "per picture and per use" price for the resulting photos (assuming you want to retain copyright). Otherwise, you could incorporate those cost considerations in the "per picture per use" pricing you give them.</p>

<p>It all comes down to your business model and how you anticipate the client is most likely to use the photos you take (not only now but in the future as well - remember, your pricing should be as future-proof as possible).</p>

<p>I hope this helps... Good luck...;-)))</p>