Nikon 300 f4 AF-S Question

matt_seems

<p>Hello All.<br>

First post for me, but a long time reader.<br>

Today I rented a used Nikon 300 f4 AF-S prime from my local camera shop as my 70-200 2.8 is at Nikon for service. During testing, the lens exhibited a high pitched whine from the focus motor which was noted by me and the owner. After several focus operations it appears to stop, but is still present at times. Optically it appears pefect so far.<br>

My question is what would you offer to pay for a used Nikon 300 f4 with the above stated issues, front and rear caps, case, filter, but NO tripod colar? He was asking $1100, but with the problems listed, I would have to send the lens to Nikon for replacement of the SWM is my guess. Is $800 to little?<br>

Thoughts?<br>

Thank you for your help,<br>

Matt</p>

<p>Mmm $1100 sounds steep for a lens that possibly needs service, its new for around $1450 i think ( it's Euro 1150 around here, just calculated the $ straight from that..).<br />I'd say : let the seller have it serviced first, or buy a good one...</p>

<p>B&H sells it new for $1350 (imported)... You better go for a new lens... as Shun says is not a good idea to buy a problem... even he will give you that lens for $700. You never know what can happen later. Buy used gear only if is in a perfect shape and function. </p>

<p>It could be a simple as dirty (or damaged) contacts. Try wiping contacts on the lens and body with a dry lens cloth. Look to see if any have been bent or misplaced.</p>

<p>The 300/4 AFS is incredibly sharp and contrasty, but the OEM collar is a joke. It is so flimsy you can't keep the camera from shaking. When you point the camera, it will sag enough to spoil the composition. Fortunately it is easy to replace. Really Right Stuff and Kirk sell replacements for this collar. I recommend the RRS version (which I purchased), since the Kirk has an oddball design that supposedly braces the lens in two places. That takes a lot of space in your bag, and the simpler RRS version is more than adequate.</p>

<p>I had a 17-35mm that had a whine when focusing. It was a great lens that never gave me any trouble, although I mainly used it in MF mode. I did get it at a discount, though, because the whine was considered a kind of blemish. I wouldn't send the lens in for service just to cure the whine, but over time I think you might get sick of hearing it.</p>

<p>I finally replaced the stock lens collar on my 300/4 when the old one fell apart and wouldn't let me turn the lens anymore. I wish I'd done it a long time ago! The replacement collar, by the way, has the Arca-style mount built in, so you don't have to buy a separate one. I have the Kirk collar, and it is excellent.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for the help.<br>

I think I am going to stray away after I return it from the rental period.<br>

On a side note, what would the lens be worth in current condition? Glass is perfect, no dings or dents.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Matt</p>

<p>I got a used AF-S 300 f/4 for about $850 in excellent condition with collar, caps, case, box, papers.<br>

The whine is almost certainly the focus motor. I had my AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 focus motor replaced last year; it was about a $400.<br>

I wouldn't offer more than $450.</p>

<p>My rule of thumb is that for a Nikon lens that is still in production, the used value for one that is in excellent condition (no scratches on the glass and barrel, reasonable wear marks on the mount) should be about 80% of its new, gray-market value. If B&H is selling that for $1350, 80% should be about $1080. Figure $100 for the missing tripod collar (a RRS replacement collar will cost more than $100) and $450 or so to replace the AF motor, you are talking about $500 or perhaps a little more.</p>

<p>You probably want to ask why the collar is missing. Not that you'll necessarily get the truth, but if the owner somehow took it off and lost it, that is ok. If the lens was dropped and the collar was broken, that is another concern.</p>

<p>Maybe you can take a chance on the AF motor, but a squealing motor is pretty much an indication that you'll need repair in the not-too-distant future, even though you can tolerate the annoying noise.</p>

<p>Actually the whining AF-S motor in this lens and the 80-200/2.8 AF-S is extremely common and from what I have read on this site seems to mean nothing to the function even after many years of use.</p>

<p>I'm a bottom feeder. I just bought a beat up 80-200/2.8 AF-S with a silent motor, for $650 USD and it delivers excellent results. I just bought a beat up 8/2.8 AIS for similar and if I were buying your lens in question I'd be prepared to spend a similar $650 to $750 USD. I know retail outlets would still be looking for at least $1000 USD. </p>

<p>While "used" lens may be OK, I would be more cautious about a lens that was rented, and used possibly by many renters, with possibility of greater abuse. I believe that people take better care about lenses they own, as opposed to lenses that they rent for an occasion.</p>