which lens to take and normal lens shoot out

<p>A 50mm is a miracle lens. Able to look both wide or tele at different times so yeah, take the 50. </p>

<p>Or, take all all three and forget all this 'I can take only one lens' business. Your a Photographer! You can take what you doggone please.</p>

<p><br /><br /></p>

<p>50. On a previous thread on 35 v 50 (yeah there was one) one wise contributor agreed that the 35 was great on holiday and would get more in, but for walks around home there seemed not to be so much worth getting in, so he preferred the 50. Bill Pierce rediscovered the 50 when he and a mate swapped cameras to have a photograph of themselves on their own film, and the other guy had this marvellous short telephoto lens - the 50. Pierce moved to the 50 after that and loves the focal length. This forum is very 'street' so you have to decide for yourself whether the 35 is what suits you or not. It's also interesting that photographers with more than one version of a particular focal length are more likely, from what I have seen, to have 3 or 4 50s and maybe only 1 or at most 2 35s. I'll often take the 35 for its compactness or the increased depth of field or the slight tolerance of a slower shutter speed, but for pure preference I think it will be the 50 for one lens only.</p>

<p>I carry 2 M's with me on most occasions, one has the 50 mounted to it, and the other a 35. Surprisingly, I find I'm using the 50 quite a bit more.<br>

The narrower depth of field and wider angle make the 35 very convenient for quick shots which get everything in the frame, but I find the 50 more useful for shots where I want more detail. And in some situations I don't like to get "in-your-face" close to the subject.</p>

<p>While I carry an M body and 35mm, 50mm and 75mm lenses with me, I find that I use the 75mm far more often than I use the other two. It's a good lens for environmental portraits, long enough to focus in on a face, short enough to include some surroundings and to focus even at short range. It's also compact and not too heavy. The main drawback is shallow depth of field, requiring careful focusing. The other two focal lengths are also flexible and useful, but the 75mm delivers better results for me more often. As usual, YMMV.</p>

<p>A while ago, I had the same urge and took just a M6 +50mm on a weekend trip to Paris.<br>

I found to my surprise really, that it was not wide enough all round scenic shots and it was a bit frustrating.<br />Try using your feet for framing when you are on the top deck of an open top tourist bus or a bateau mouche :-0)<br>

If I did the one lens thing again it would definitely be the 35mm.<br>

I have often taken several lenses on a holiday/trip and came back having only used the 35mm.<br>

Gadge</p>

i think I'd pick the 35/2, but remember that it is still a wide-angle lens, and your pictures with it will show the wide-angle characteristics. If you're a purist, then, I'd pick the 50/2. Between those two, it's a tough choice, really.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J