website showing under/over exposure by a few stops?

<p>Does somebody know of a website which has examples of photos showing the effects of exposure at various levels, e.g. 0, -1, +1, -0.5, +0.5, etc.? I am interested in images scanned from film only. I suppose this would entail having the scanner at fixed exposure settings so that inter-shot exposure differences are retained. It doesn't matter if it is negative or slide film, but I am expecting that slide film may be better suited for this experiment.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>there is really no such thing as a perfect exposure. if it looks right it is right. if you cant see enough detail* because it is dark, its underexposed. if you cant see enough detail*because it is too bright, its over exposed.</p>

<p>*"enough detail" refers to the details you need to bring out. sometimes that means sacrificing details someplace else, especially with slide film.</p>

I don't believe the OP is interested in perfect exposure. He just wants to see the results of opening up or closing down one, two, three, etc stops. I forget the regular contributor on this forum who occasionally shows a box of crayons shot at various exposures, but hopefully he will show up.
James G. Dainis

<p>James, you are correct. Thanks.</p>

<p>Just to clarify a bit more, the 0 EC I mentioned is understandably whatever the system of calculating the exposure decides (be it human or a machine). And the other exposure are, of course, relative to this one. A perfect exposure of a scene is very subjective and cannot be decided by a formula (for natural images). What I am looking for really is a display of the photos where the photographer discusses his/her interpretations for exposure bracketed shots. Ideally, the shots will be of natural scenes or of people in usual situations.</p>

Not quite what you look for perhaps, but here's a Flickr image showing the same scene shot at +3 to -2 on negative film, then brightness adjusted. You can see what actually happens in the shadows and highlights as a result of various exposures.

Film latitude

Takeaway message, I think: If you use negative film then avoid too much underexposure, but other than that just don't worry about getting your exposure right.