Need some advice regard school photography contract

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I have opportunity to give a bid and/or present myself to a principal in a local school of about 1000 kids.<br>

He is not happy with current photographer and want to change to another company.<br>

One of parents of PTA in the school saw some of my work and she was really pleased. When we spoke few times she mentioned something about it and I got interested.<br>

So, she gave a few words to principal about me and basically he told her that I need to meet him sometime in next few weeks.<br>

Now, the question is about contract.<br>

Never had to write proposal and sign contract for the work I have done before.<br>

Even in past few years am taking pictures of kids upward league and parents are very pleased, and I don't have more than 1-2 wrong thing that I need to re-print because of misspelled words and such small stuff. I think that's not bad when I take a pictures of over 480 kids. Sometime even in just one day all of them.<br>

Have assistant/second shooter, and one more person to help with order envelopes and everything is smooth.<br>

Also, am doing weddings & family portraits, so I am not experienced with school photography at all.<br>

Looking at his last year picture, I know I can do the job and make even better.<br>

They also told me that would be taken twice a year and each time for picture day will take 2-3 days to take picture of all kids (about 1000). That's how former person did and he delivered pictures no earlier than 6 weeks.<br />I told them I can delivery pictures in about 2-3 weeks top, so that wouldn't be a problem.</p>

<p>I would like to hear from you experienced school shooters what to expect.<br>

Do you guys/girls have any sample contract to share with me?<br>

Where to print yearbooks and what company would you recommend for yearbook?<br>

My local print shop don't do yearbooks.</p>

<p>Any help would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Very sincerely,</p>

<p>Dino</p>

<p>Hey Dino,<br>

We do about 125,000 kids a year. The proposal we give to schools usually just lays out every single thing we are going to do for them throughout the year and what that process is. It doesn't have to be overly complex. </p>

<p>The contract we use is just a single page form that lists both parties and what we are giving back to each school and when.</p>

<p>Some important things to remember about school pictures - and this is based on school pictures here in Texas but I know its pretty similar nationwide (not know what part of the world you are from). <br>

Commission is the most important thing to a school - it didn't used to be that way necessarily but it has become imcreasingly important. The standard return to a school is 40-50% of your revenue (not your profit). In addition to commission most elementary schools require a 4-up strip of each student with name, grade and homeroom. Other services are usually made available for free if a school needs it - like yearbook CDs and ID cards. But that is another topic..</p>

<p>Another important thing to remember is workflow. You'll need to be able to match up each kid with their frame. You may do that tethered at the shoot but you'll need the appropriate programs to make that match happen. Or you can do it after the fact which is also feasible but you'll need a program that does that. <a href="http://www.photolynx.com">www.photolynx.com</a> is one program you can use and will run about 3500 a year. If this is the only school you plan on doing you can probably make do without a program to do it. You can use pre printed camera cards to identify each kid as they come up to the camera and you can mark their package ordered then (if you are doing prepay).</p>

<p>Make sure you have a lab that can handle school pictures as well - you'll want to envelope and label each package and probably include reorder forms and refund/retake information.</p>

<p>I'm surprised they do pictures over 2-3 days... but if that's how they do it you'll want to find out exactly what the schedule is. Most schools want you to be finished prior to lunches beginning. But of course every school is different. If you had to do 1000 kids in 1 day that would typically be a 3 camera shoot but if it is spread out that would be different. You'll need a table helper and groomer which are sometimes volunteered by school PTA.<br>

<br />Yearbooks... you'll want to find out what their yearbook specs are. If you are doing the entire yearbook for them you'll provide them with a PSPA yearbook CD and we use Walters Publishing to produce yearbooks they do great and have a 30 day turn around. The software to layout the book is pretty straight forward and easy to use.</p>

<p>Good luck - I hope you get the contract! If you have any other questions let me know... I think I've rambled on too long..</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hey Wes,</p>

<p>thanks for answer, I do appreciate very much.<br>

<br />Already have print shop, really great one to work with, and they already have done a bunch of work for me.<br>

I did take pictures of about 480 kids in one day with assistant/2nd shooter and one more person on desk taking care for pre-pay order envelopes and everything was smooth.<br>

So, already have system that may work for 2-3 days shooting, with 2nd shooter/assistant and someone to help with order envelopes.<br>

I was curios about contract, need one sample letter and such. If you can provide a sample contract, I would appreciate that.<br>

Someone from PTA will help me out with finding out with this school what percentage of commission should I gave back to school and about yearbook.<br>

Already have system in place with order envelopes and sitting sequence number to match kid and teams.<br>

For how long should I have contract signed with this school?<br>

I think this guy was there for about 7 years and start cutting corners and doing less and finally last time screw up on some yearbook photos and they want to get rid of him. It's not like I was going there to get his job.<br>

Again, thanks for answering and giving your advice.</p>