First Wedding: Do I have everything I need?

ray_dockrey

<p>I have been asked to do my first wedding. I had doubts as I know how important this day is for the bride and groom but I got talked into it. I am familiar and fairly comfortable with low light shooting so that is okay. I just want to make sure i have the right equipment and if I need anything else. I have been shooting for about three years and i am familiar with my equipment.<br>

Camera's: D300/Grip two batteries, D200/grip two batteries, D40x (My original. Keep it around for sentimental reasons)<br>

Lenses: Nikkor 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 18--55, 80-200 2.8 twin ring version, 70-300 VR<br>

Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, 28-75 2.8<br>

Flash: Nikon SB-600, SB-900<br>

I also have a small portable studio so I have light stands and umbrellas. I also have a Cybersync wireless setup so I can do off camera flash if I decide too. I use Lightroom for post processing and I have my own website setup through Zenfolio for viewing and ordering prints. Please let me know if there is something else I am missing. If anything I could use a vote of confidence that at least I have the right equipment to get the job done and done well.</p>

<p>It sounds like your set! I would use the d300 w/17-50 and sb900 the d200 w/ 80-200 and sb600, keep the d40 in the car as a back up. The primes can go in the bag as well if you expect a low light situation. Just make sure you have plenty of memory(like 30-40gb if you shoot raw) and more AA batteries than you think you will ever need. If you are comfortable with off camera lighting then go for it, just remember that a wedding is not the best time to work things out. Good Luck!</p>

<p>You do indeed sound as if you're set - more than set if you ask me. Contrary to Joseph's advice however, I would suggest you take the flashes off camera, put them up on stands at specific points and use your D300's builit-in flash to command them (or your other wireless setup). Set them up appropriately, shoot through umbrellas (or softboxes - whatever you happen to have in hand), set your camera to Rear Sync and you should have excellent results. That would, in effect, give you a better light situation and you could then take advantage of the D300's excellent noise control to shoot to your heart's content...</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the replies. The wedding isn't till November so I have lots of time to practice new techniques.<br>

Joey, Good question. I have the skill. I have been the sole photographer at our church. I do all the baptisms and anything else they can come up with. Our pastor doesn't like flash so everything I do is in poor lighting and I have got very good at being able to adapt at whatever is thrown at me. I also do all the photography for our high school marching band which is in poor lighting outdoors. I do get to use flash there though so that helps.<br>

Knowledge of weddings first hand no. I have studied the art of weddings from forums and articles on the net. I have shot rehearsals at my church when the wedding photog wasn't there just to see what works and what doesn't. I am fairly confident in the poses and what to get and prepare for. The only thing I am not sure of is just where I need to be and what position to get the best shots. The church the ceremony is at is two blocks away from me so I can go in and practice as much as I want till the wedding.</p>

<p>For the ceremony I usually will be in the center aisle to start and then move to the right and left as much as possible during the down time in the ceremony. You will need to gauge when the ring exchange is gonna happen and be front and center for that as well as the first kiss. When the bride enters I usually take center aisle but stay back near the alter and use a 70-200 for the first couple of shots then switch to 24-70 as she approaches. I have seen many photographers come up to the bride and then back step with her all the way to the alter, IMHO that is not the best way for a number of reasons 1- Your in the way and making a specticale of yourself 2- there is always a chance that you could take a spill and ruin her entrance (the runners they put down are sometimes slippery on marble floors) 3- I love to get a view over the grooms sholder when she enters this would not be possible if you are walking w/ the bride. Any other question I would be happy to help!</p>

<p>Comfortable straps for your cameras if you are shooting all day. A bag that you can use to carry a good amount of things without being to conspicuous or cumbersome. Maybe a wider lens than 17-50 if there is a reception. I've found the wider lenses work well for the bouqeut toss, small venus and some creative stuff.</p>

<p>Nadine, I do have a carbon fiber tripod and monopod. I have four sets of four of the Sanyo Enelopes. I do plan on getting more AA's. The intelligent charger is a great idea and I will pick up one of those. I do need more memory cards so I will put that on my list also.</p>

<p>Ray, I would check out the Powerex 8 cell charger, I have two and they work phenominally. There are two models one is a little more than the other, Go for the more expensive model it will cycle the batts in like 2 hours on a soft charge. If I were in your shoes I would stick with Eneloops, I've had powerex 2700s and while they preform great you cant beat the Eneloop for its ability to hold a charge. I have also found the Kingston Elite CF cards to be very good for the price. You can find them between $20-30 per 8gb card. In my experience they do write on the slow side but I never run into any buffer problems and I shoot raw 100% of the time. Also it is important to keep spare batteries and cards on you all the time, there are a few brands of card cases out now that work great - Think Tank's pixel pocket rocket is a good one as it is tethered to you via a small lanyard.</p>

Ray, try and practice in as similar lighting conditions are will be present on the day. Assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere, it will be a winter wedding and likely a lot darker than the venue gets at this time of year. Bear that in mind...

<p>You have talked a lot about your low-light shooting experience. I encourage you to get to grips with flash photography as well. Neil van Niekerk has great advice on that. Also, I (almost) swear by my Demb Flash Diffuser. I never leave home without it :)

<p>Finally, search the forums for "what's in your bag?" You'll be surprised at what other bits come in handy. I carry duct tape, safety pins, hair pins, a comb, a small mirror, flashlight...

<p>Mark, thanks for the advice. I do use flash when I can. Actually I prefer to use flash but I just know that in most ceremonies a lot of times they don't like for you to use flash and at my church our pastor won't let me use flash during any kind of event that takes place in the sanctuary. I have the Gary Fong Lightsphere that I use all the time except for when I am outdoors using the flash for fill. I have been thinking abut trying the Demb Flash Diffuser but I get such great results with the Lightsphere I haven't picked one up yet.</p>

<p>I will do the search as you suggested and see what I need to add to my bag.</p>